Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spools vs. Mini-Spools vs. Lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Sep 27, 2001.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Can anyone out there go over the distinct differences/advantages/disadvantages of Spools, Mini-Spools, and Lockers? Also, how much should you be willing to dish out for each?

Thanks All

"Blazerism: When the Blazer is your God."

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

A spool is a complete carier, and a mini-spool slips in where you put it in the stock open carier. Using a spool requires you to use c-clip eliminators whick leak like crazy and are only meant for drag racing. A mini spool doesn require anything special. You just remove the spider gears and put in place. You dont even have to reset the back lash on the gears. A locker is a complete carier so you have to reset the backlash. You can use c clips with them. Your other option would be a slip in locker like lock rite. It is just like the mini spool, all you have to do is remove the spider gears and slip in. As for price most full spools are $200-$250, mini spool $100-$125, locker $525-$550, and a lock rite locker $275-$325. The advantages about a spool or mini spool is that both tires are permanetly locked together so you dont have to worry about it not working. The disadvantage is they are always locked together, so you have to get use to driving it around. The advantage is a locker engages and disengages. It will diengage around a corner if you are not in the gas too hard. The bad part is it has whats called a weave. It will engage and disengage around a curve making the rear ens move around. The other disatvange is the price. Your best bet is use a locker in the front and a mini spool in the rear. Thats what I am doing in my Jimmy right now. BTW your tires will wear more with any of them. They wear the same with a locker as a spool. I know alot of people that drive around on the street with a spool in their race car and have no problem.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. K5thatShmobs

Thanks DesertDueler, one more question though: How does the performance and strength and such compare between a Spool and a Mini-Spool? And with a Mini-Spool, is that something that most people could install themselves, or is that something that requires technical knowledge of gears?

Thanks

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

spool is stronger, mini spool is as strong as the origonal case. mini spool is a no brainer install in most axles. what axles do you have?

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

For a selection of spools and lockers, check out these sites:

www.ring-pinion.com
    pugsley.alloffroad.com

6. K5thatShmobs

I'm running a completely factory 12-Bolt with Gov-Lock... is that going to have an effect on the installation of the mini-spool? Also, what companies make a good mini-spools for chevy ends, and how do the prices range?

Thanks

7. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

I put a mini spool in my front 10 bolt, don't have it together yet, so I can't say how good. I have manual lockouts, so I can freewheel on the pavement. the mini spool goes in the carrier, replacing the spider gears, and the axles go into the splined mini spool and are locked together