Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spools

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kodiak, Apr 1, 2000.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of putting a spool in my blazer. It is a daily driver but sees more ice/snow/gravel than pavement. It averages 2500 miles/year. Anyone ever install one or use one?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

No personal experience, but I think if you drive it on pavement at all, you're going to tear some stuff up. Your tires will pay the price as well as the entire axle. Whats wrong with a Detroit Locker? You'd have the best of both worlds with one.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

The reason I am thinking about a spool is I drive on alot of wet ice. Lockers have a bad habit of locking/unlocking on ice at the wrong time. I am thinking a spool gives me the same behavior (good or bad)all the time and I know what to expect. Also this blazer is rarely driven over 35mph

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm usually more comfortable on ice with no traction aiding devices at all, but thats just me. But since you want to upgrade how about an ARB air locker. That way its either 100% locked, or none at all. Its just expensive to do.
    I don't think a spool matters on how fast you drive since a bunch of drag cars have them. I'd just worry about taking corners on pavement with one.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

A spool will be a disaster on dry pavement....most turns are less than 35 mph.....and it will still be a disaster. The wheels have to turn at different rates in a turn or slide. I also agree with 73 K5 spool + ice=bad.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

6. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

OK then. An open diff equals no traction on ice. A locker is great if it stays locked but if you have had one unlock and lock back up on slick(very slick-not wet pavement) surface it can be a handful. That means the best is a limited slip? Good at many things but great at nothing.