Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sports Rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bobsurf, May 20, 2002.

1. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Sometimes the attitude of these pro athletes sickens me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE sports junkie and I think that these guys deserve to get paid big bucks. But something that happens all too often really irks me. For example, some guy signs a contract for 6 years making 5 million per year. Let's say he improves over the next 3 years and maybe guys of his caliber/position start to make more money. Instead of play out the contract they signed, these guys demand to have their deal re-worked (get paid more), or they threaten to sit out. What the F*ck? That sh*t drives me crazy. You signed a freaking contract. What would happen if he signed that same contract and 3 years later he sucks. The player sure isn't going to restructure the deal so he gets paid less. Seriously though, doesn't all this sh*t go against the very purpose of a contract?

Okay, I feel better now. Thoughts?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya. It's crybabys like that, is why I do not watch sports. A contract is a contract !!!!!!

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I agree but there is a flip side to every coin. If a player signs a contract for 5 years and does not preform to his/her ability they are usually cut or traded. The owners are just as greedy and the don't want to shell out anymore money than they have to.

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> the ones I hate are te ones who always battle over contracts ( improved or not ) and then you see them in an interveiw and they say, " I'm just feel so lucky and blesed to be doing something I love and living my dream . " Pompous a-holes !!

5. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Corey, with respect to football I think you're correct. If they're not playing, they don't get paid. However, for Basketball and Baseball they can collect checks out on their fishing boat.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

IMO, there should be a limiting salary cap on ANY pro player's pay.

No professional sports player deserves to be paid in the millions range for doing a sport. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

If it were me, the top players salaries would not be over $1M a year.

If they want more cash, do some indorsements, but don't be a baby and try to get more just for playing a simple sport. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

You see too many players moan whine and bitch about their salaries and there is always someone better than them who is getting paid far less. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Personally, I think teachers and pro atheletes should swap salaries! Most pro players can't read or comprehend the contract anyway!

8. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure where all the money to pay them comes from. Is it television rights or ticket sales or ?
    If the player can sit out or not play and still get paid it seems like there's a problem with the contract. If I was an owner I'd never sign a contract that allowed a player to pull a stunt like that. If they violated the contract, I'd file suit /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Although I'm not much of a sports fan, I watch occasionally, but I'd rather play than watch.

-Aaron

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I see it like this...If your the best. You should be paid the best.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Like other entertainers their salary comes from revenue generated by their performance (or lack of it) TV rights, ticket sales, merch, etc etc.

I like the contracts with performance bonus's. The base salary is fairly low or reasonable with bonus's for goal's, assists, ~insert performance clause here~ so the more the player plays and the better he does the more he gets paid. If the player is injured or the coach chooses not to play him much he makes less, but still a decent salary.

Rene

11. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I like that performance based contract idea. Thanks for the clarification on the money /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I knew they made alot, I just couldn't figure out how the teams made the money back to pay the high salaries.

-Aaron

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Most pro athletes are big babies if you ask me... I'm a sports nut and love to watch and play stuff but when you see players whine over money like that it makes me mad and wanna puke. It's a freaking game and I am sorry but someone who demands $10 million to play a game is out there... yeah they are pros but you don't see professionals in other things act like that. Too many of them have lost touch with reality. Whatever happened to playing for the love of it? I think they should make something and yeah I can see a million a year for a top player...afterall they are entertainers for us.... but beyond that get real.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So if 20 players for a pro team generate 200 mllion in profits the other 180 million should go to the owners?

Pro athletes are no better or worse than most actors, singers or other professional entertainers.

Rene

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Shouldn't have that much to begin with... it's all about money.... from ticket sales down the soda they sell at the games... the whole system has gotten out of control...... I took my friends kids to a basketball game. We had nose bleed seats, bought hot dogs, sodas and some foam fingers.... our evening was almost $150 bucks! We had to do everything the cheapest we could, and it still was expensive.... that's my issue... the players, owners and everyone has turned what was once a fun family outting into a multimillion dollar money making system to screw the average fan.... I love to go but can't afford it much... something is wrong where people can't attend stuff without having to take out a loan....

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ok yes the athalets are way over paid. But lets look at the big picture for a second. Pick any sport like basketball for instence. Now pick a player, lets say Shaq. Now he makes what over a hundred millon on his contract right? Ok how many Lakers jerseys have been sold with his name and number just off of his popularity an performance? Now how much does an officialy licensed NBA jersey cost? What about $45 average? Say there are 5 millon jerseys with his name and number sold this year that is a total of $225 millon in revenue that he has produced. Now I would say that the owner get's the bigest cut of those profits and if you times that by say a 5 year contract I think you can tell who's getting the better end of the deal. Like I said befor the owners are just as greedy and probably more. They are so loaded with money and yet they make threts to move their teams if the tax payers dont buy them new stadiums and arenas. I have more respect for the athalet cause at least their just trying to screw the owner not the tax payer like the Owners.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

players will only get paid as much as owners are willing to pay them. Putting caps on player salaries is silly... all the money from TV contracts etc etc would then just go to the billionaire team owner guys then. Is that any better? I agree that players getting paid BANK crying about how much they are getting is dumb and annoying to normal-people fans (like me!) but capping salaries isn't going to solve anything.

J

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You know, teachers are just as bad though - obviously on a different scale. They'll agree to "X" amount per year for 5, and 6 months into the first they're all over the TV screaming strike. The NEA of today puts the Teamsters of old to shame. While they do deserve a better pay scale, they shouldn't accept the contract if they don't like it.

18. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> the owner of the Vikings, Red McCombs is doing just that right now ! He's threatening to pull the team out if he doesn't get a stadium !