Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spray can Paint JOB

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ED70K5, May 20, 2000.

1. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

I've decide not to spend to much dinero on a paint job for my rig. I will be doing my first rattle can paint job soon and just wanted to get some pointers. Prepping?? Sanding?? Type of paint?? Primer?? Anything you guys can tell me!! I'm totally new to body work! I have to admit.....I'm very excited about this project! LOL

2. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Ed, I'm not a professional painter but I've painted several vehicles over the years. All were done in my driveway shooting quality automotive paints (Dupont/Ditzler), usually black or dark blues, and the results generated compliments from many. You can do this if you take the time and do some research. My first paint job was actually one of my best.

Besides, if you were to pay a pro to paint your truck, the bulk of the cost would be in the labor to prepare the surface for paint. That said, if you intend to prep your truck yourself, you should consider painting it as well. Go visit an automotive paint supply shop and ask the basic questions:

How do I determine what paint is on the truck now?
    What new paint will be compatible with the old?
    How do I clean it, tape it, prime and seal it?
    What do I start to paint? I like to do the wheelwells first.

The supply shop will assist you in mixing paint for temperature (75 degrees in the shade is good). Before you start, walk around the truck with the spray gun attached to the air hose and "pretend" your painting as you focus on the distance of the gun to the surface and where you will start and finish. This will help you work your way 360 degrees around the truck to your starting point before the paint dries. Didn't mean to be so verbose, just wanted to encourage you as we have all been beginners at one time.

3. K5experience

K5experience Registered Member

Get a copy the May 2000 Petersen's 4Wheel& Off Road it has a good section on paint basics and how to prep your truck.
    If you do the rattle can gimic let us know how it turned out because I'm thinking of doing that to.

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Never painted one myself, going to this year though, gonna make the old Beast one color. As far as rattle can jobs go, if you do a rattle can plan on sticking with them. What I mean is if you are planning on doing a good quality paint job down the road DON'T use rattle cans. Talked with several proffesional painters about this. Something about the paint or the propellents makes it where you have to remove all the spray paint to put on a good paint. If you plan on doing a quality job later on, save you self some trouble and get some good automotive paint mixed up and spray bomb it with an air compressor and gun.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

I saw that article on 4 Wheel & Off-Road. That is primarily what gave me the idea to do it myself. I think I just might rent a compressor and purchase some good paint, it will still be cheaper than the quotes I got of $1000.00+ clams!!

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Why rattle can?

This past summer I pianted the Ole Gal, the same old silver paint on the side had flaked off, so I sanded it down, bondoed the bad spots, rattle can primered it red, then a thin coat of white. Then you sand the white off to tell you where the low spots are at. The I went and got some kind of paint I cannot remember the name but it had to be mixed with a hardener and thinner, 1 quart was $71.00. I used a Wagner power sprayer, it took a bit of experimenting to get the spray just right, used a bunch more thinner for the silver metallic , but I was never more impressed in how it came out. I have done body work, worked during the summers in high school years ago, and can tell you that the prep is so important if you care about how the job comes out.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

7. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

steady, even, and consistant strokes are key,.......also body prep......everything will show if you don't sand it good & smooth.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

How good do you want it to look? I had a '77 4x4 shortbed that was an ex-mud running truck. Lots of dent and stuff. It was camoed and some of it faded to pink!? Couldn't have that so I took some of those green dishwasher pads and went over the whole thing using a water hose as I went. It took a while but got all the tree sap, bugs, etc. off. I then got some rustoleum rusty metal primer and went at it. It was a nice dull earthy color that didn't rust. It did kinda fade tho'. Just my experience on an old beater rig.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

9. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Hey Ed, I did my first paint job when I was in High School, with no training, just common sense. From there I went on to paint a bunch of friends' cars, then painted for a wholesaler. In my opinion, a shitty job w/ a gun is better than the best job w/ rattle cans. I agree with one of your other posts that said go to a paint shop, ask their advice, then go to a rental house, rent a compressor and a real gun. You might surprise yourself how easy it is, and how well you can do. One final thought: If you're going to do proper prep work (that's the most important part, and where all the sweat and time go) do you want to screw it up w/ a hack paint job? I'd be glad to give you pointers if you want to e-mail me. madbishop@msn.com

You can't beat going Topless!

10. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status

I myself paint cars using a spray gun .I'm not to bad either , don't do it professionaly . I started with a buddies old power wagon . It was gunnie pig project he didn't care about results just wanted one color . I bought a cheap gun form Napa . Didn't turn out to well . He then had me paint his Charger and that turned out great and the rest is history . I know use hvlp gun . No overspray so everything ens up on the rig . Go to a martin senior I think Napa handles this brand . Ask for a MSD paint ( hopefuly this is right ) it's a cheap acrylic enamel and no factory colors . I think you can geta gallonf paint , hardener and reducer for under a $100.00 . If you have any questions let me know

11. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Not that you need anymore options but, before I painted my blazer I thought about how much I would abuse it and decided to try some tractor and implement paint, So I went to the local tractor shop and talked with a guy who just got finished painting a tractor. For a gallon of paint it costs about $50.00 and the reducer wasn't much more. The paint was so thick I could've painted 3 blazers! It went on pretty smooth and dried with a nice glossy shine. Also NAPA carries a line of commercial coatings in many colors to choose from. One thing to rememeber that I did't, whatever route you decide to go with, stick to the same brand from start to finish. Hope this helps, Russell