Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spray Can Special Advice Needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I know this is a pretty dumb question but I'd sure like to help my old man out. We started painting his K20 today, in military camo fashion. It is turning out alright but the thing is, it *looks* sprayed out of a can. You can see swirly looking marks and some of the olive drab cans sprayed this horrible looking green while some were nice. I can take pics in the morning if someone would like to see. Any tips on getting a more even spray from a can? Is a paintbrush job a better way to go? This evening we went over the the National Guard Armory and checked out their paint jobs /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . Nice Sunday drivin' with the kids... you could see overspray between colors but it didn't look swirly within the color. Any advice appreciated. Hub was going to get a projector to project the pattern on the truck just to make sure and do a good job, but didn't get ahold of the thing. Point being, I think he wants it to look like a "good" camo job.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They used a propper gun that put out a fan of paint about 10 times the width of a rattle can. If it were a regular paint job where you wanted it shinny it is almost cheaper to buy a cheap $50 gun and a gallon of automotive paint and get 100 times better results. Problem is getting camo paint is not easy. Not enough demand.
    Paint shoudl not be done in a circulalr pattern. It should pe done in a line stepping down on every pass. then it will come out a little more even.

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Shake the cans- a lot. Shake them for about 5 minutes before you start, then stop about once every minute and shake it some more. You have to keep it mixed really well. Also, clean the tip pretty often to keep it from clogging up and squirting out globs.

4. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

You're local parts store should sell a handle for cans that attaches and gives a better spray and helps on the finger. Makes it like a spray gun. Go back and forth, and definatly take your time! do light coats and work to the heavier ones. remember you can touch up and redo easily.

Good luck

Chris

5. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

You have to take your time and do acouple coats. If you go side to side with a spray can you will get zebra stripes.

6. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

what if you do mess up and get a run what is the best way to fix that? wait till it drys and resand...just guessing

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

When painting w/ spray cans at least, you can wipe the run with a lint-free rag as soon as it occurs, and then wait a couple of minutes and go back over the area. Works for me.

John