Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spray gun parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Going to paint the interior today. First time ever painting anything with a gun. Forgot some key points... like what the heck do these things do??? (small oversight /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

So, need to know what numbers 1 and 2 do. And on number 3, which way does the paint spray out? Does it fan out in between the metal sides so that those sides define the pattern? Or does it fan out past the area that doesn't have those metal sides? (Wow, I sound just like a dumb girl.... sorry guys. But I am a dumb girl - about this stuff anyways /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

[​IMG]

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

1. Is for the fan width...(the spray pattern)
    2. Is for the fuild... (turning the screw in gives less fuild)
    3. Is the air cap...I'd turn that 90*..
    (the air coming from the side holes, flatens out the spray)

I hope this helps.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

The way #3 is in the picture you will get a horizontal fan shape. If you turn #3 90degrees you will get a vertical fan shape. Just depends where you are painting to which you need.

I may have these backwards and it will be easy for you to tell but I believe that #1 controls the amount of paint and #2 controls the spray pattern. You should have some sort of air preasure regulator in you system. Air line water filter is good too, but in cali. you might no need it. I'm sure I will get corrected if I'm mistaken /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Have fun!!

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    may have these backwards and it will be easy for you to tell but I believe that #1 controls the amount of paint and #2 controls the spray pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes..you DO have them backwards... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I'm painting the interior so I turned the air nozzle thingy 90 degrees to get a vertical pattern. The gun is an HVLP connected to a pressure pot with regulator on the pot. So after I adjust the pot pressure, the #1 turny thing will decrease or increase the air flow and # 2 for paint. Got it.

Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

check your PM's /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Spray a couple of tests on a big piece of cardboard first. You want to have the spray gun set properly before you point it at the panel you want to paint. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It sucks to have to stop and wait for the paint to dry so that you can sand out your screwups before you can finish. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Oh yeah, even with a HVLP gun, cover EVERYTHING in the truck that you don't want to paint. You'll get quite a fog going around that thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Hi Harry! You should see all the crap I have taped off. my whole driveway out back there is covered up - shed, ivy, garage, whole truck. Covered up the dogs too - got carried away..J/K. They wouldn't still long enough.

Should be an interesting day tomorrow!