Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spray in bedliners???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8BaLL, Jun 17, 2002.

1. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I want to rip out all of my carpet and sidewalls inside and put a spray in bedliner on it all. What all must be done before I am ready to spray it? Is it going to be a really hard process? How much do you think it will cost for materials? I got two estimates today and they told me almost $800 to do my inside and that is way too much money for me to spend so I want to do it myself if at all possible.

2. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I just did the inside of my truck (floor) with roll on herculiner. It came out great and is alot cheaper to do. it probly cost me around 100$ that is for the Herculiner kit and sand paper to prep the floor.It is also very easy to do. sorry no pictures of it. but I am sure someone on ck5 has some

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Alot of people will say they don't like jerkuliner but I used it on my bed rails and rockers and the top of my tailgate. some say it'll rip and won't last and to those people who spent a small fortune on other stuff, I say go buy a quart for 30 bucks and fix the scratches and rips HEHEHEHE..... it is the cheap way to go but it works good enough for me.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

i'm workin on the same project right now... first things first if you want it to last any amount of time, no matter which way you go with the liner... clean up all the rust areas... get it back down to metal...and while your at it repair anything that needs fixed... real cheap if you do it all yourself... then rough up the surface and primer all your bare spots... then put in the liner... unfortunantly i'm still in debate on which one to go with.. blue diamond and rhino liner both quoted around $800 for the whole cab and bed... but you can do it alot cheaper yourself...just apply a few coats to get a thicker layer.... oh and if your in a real humid area i would wait to lay down the liner if moisture is settling at that time... that rubber will seal anything in.. and that's the last thing you want to get under it.... oh and unless you want to go deaf.. i'd suggest putting your side panels back in the bed... it's amazing how much sound they cut out....

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I've got pics of my herc on my webshots page. Herc is just like paint it is all in the preparation. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and the sand and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN w/ acetone again. Really though prep is the key to a good job.

6. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

So without the side panels its gonna be a loud ride? I thought it would be cool to have the sides lined with the bedliner so nothing in the truck could get messed up but now that you said it makes the inside really loud I am a little worried. For those of you that used the bedliner did you paint over the bolts that bolt the floor and bed down or did you loosen them and pain around them? I wouldnt want to paint them but I also wouldnt want the whole bed to be black and then have to look at some silver bolts. Does the herculiner come in different colors? Would it be possible to paint the inside top of the cab itself? I want to rip the headliner out. I dont want to paint the back just the cab part. Also could I paint the glove box and other metal parts there and what do you think about taking the plastic off the part that runs parallel to the windshield and painting it? Can you use a paint brush with the herculiner for a more detailed job? Wow I am just loaded with questions.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

It's going to be loud without the carpet in anyways. I do have side panels and it is still loud. You can paint over the body bolts, but remove the philips screws or they will be completely covered. You can always grip off the herculiner on the bolts. You can get herc in red and grey but it is more expensive. You can paint any metal surface you want, but it would be a mess to do the roof unless you roll the K5 upside down ;-) As far as plastic use some bulldog adhesion promoter and paint. The herc will peel off. And yes you can use a paintbruch with herc but the texture will turn out different then the stuff you roll on.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Takin the bed panels things off isn't going to make it real loud, not even that noticable. I don't have the panels or the rear carpet and it ain't that loud

9. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Line-x is the way to go. Way better that rhinoliner. I'm planning on spraying line-x on the floors in my suburban, but the cost of around 800 bucks has me rethinking. Probably will carpet under the seats and line-x the cargo area.

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I put herc in the entire interior of mine, even the pedals. So far its lasted the past 6 months with no wear except on the brake pedal, and that is just cause I didn't prep that pedal very well. All you need to do is make sure it very clean, then scuff the paint with a scothbritepad and then clean again with acetone, wait til it dries then roll the stuff on. For everything it took just over a gallon. Herc is good stuff in my book, the only drawback is that the interior noise is increased a bit, and the stereo tends to echo a little and the base off my subs is a little stronger, I just have to take out the amps and speakers and I can hose out the interior. The fumes will be pretty strong for a few weeks.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i herced my whole tub, and my ammo can tool boxes and speaker box. Check out webshots. Once I do the beefy rocker panel upgrade, I am gonna herc everything below the chrome trim on the exterior. Oughta be coolio. Have questions about herc? pm me! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J