Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spray in liner?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WheelinK5, Oct 28, 2001.

1. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

Has anyone used a spray in liner such as Rinoliner? I am thinking of having Rinoliner spray the entire tub of the Blazer from the rear of the front seats back, and up the sides.

I think this will work great for doing dirty work and just spraying the rear out. Then most the time I can just put the carpet back in.

Has anyone done this? Does it help with vibration and noise?

Mark

1985 K5
    Built 330HP crate 350, SM465, NP208, 10 bolts, Ranchos and 31X10.5 on Rallys!

2. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Do a search on this and you'll find alot of info [​IMG] I did my cab and plan on doing my bed as soon as I get the chance.

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I have the inside sprayed with LINE-X and I love it.

it looks cool and is easy to clean

you can take a look at my photo alubm in the my blazer folder

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I did mine with the Morton bedline kit. Its not really super thick but is impossible to get off. I think it would be great for under carpets. You can get it in tons of colors.

One of these days I'll drag my half-primered '82 in the shop and paint it. So I have on road experiences yet.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you can herculiner the tub yourself for a fraction of the price. i have heard it works well. $100 for enuff to do the bed with muliple coats. My quote for rhinoliner for the tub was $650

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

This Morton stuff sounds pretty expensive. Instead check out Durabak. IT is $50 cheaper a gallon. And sounds like it is easier to use also. Durabak $100 a gallon. Morton $159 a gallon.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

7. WheelinK5

These do-it yourself liners are they thick? I want a somewhat thick liner, I used Rinoliner in my truck and loved it, I don't like the price though.

1985 K5

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

not sure...got too cold to do it so it is put off till spring

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

9. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Napa sells a Duplicolor kit, which i think is better than the herculiner. They have it available for roll on, or they have a spray kit that you just use with your air compressor. I think the spray kit looks a lot better. There is someone on here who used it on the outside of his truck. I plan to do the whole inside of my truck with the spray, before laying my carpet. I have even considered doing my lower dash area with it, rather than painting it.

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

the duplicolor stuff also comes in rattle cans. ( i know because i sell it at work.) Im actually thinking of doing the inside of my tub this week when i have everthing out for my bodymount redo. I figgered, why take it all apart twice? we'll have to see what the fundage permits...

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I used herculiner on my entire truck and It is ok. It scrapes off easier than I expected. And as for the durabak. I got 2 samples from them because I Was originally going to do my truck in it and I left it outside for 2 months..I found it a couple of weeks ago and it had faded to a light yellow color so i cant say as I trust it...but it may have been just the sample.

12. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Morton is very pricey. I think I paid $270 for two kits, 8 cans material and 8 cans activator. You just mix it up and then take the material can and screw it on to a rocker shutz gun. It takes 80 psi to get it to spray. I just liked being able to spray better than having to roll. I dunno, I guess I kinda spraying sorta relaxing; course maybe its the fumes.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have used the Dupicolor stuff and it sucks canal water... really thin. Scrapes off very very easy. I have also used Herculiner and it is pretty good. Do 2 coats (wait for the first one to dry almost entirely) and it really comes out quite nice... decently thick. It will come off more then a rhinoliner, but for the price just touch it up or recoat it when it does. Unless you haul motors, concrete blocks, bricks, etc alot it will hold up decent.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I used Rhino Liner for mine. The product was good, but the customer service sucks. You need to decide what you want out of the finial product. I do not run carpet at all so I wanted something that would cut down the heat and noise. If that is what you are looking for the Duplicolor will not do much for you, it is more like trunk paint. If you don't haul stuff the Hurculiner works well but some people have a hard time getting a consistant finish, while others make it look easy. Make sure you get it extra thick over the trans tunnel if you want to cut down the heat. Mine is very thick and it works well. I use my Jimmy like a truck and am always hauling around yard stuff so durability was very important to me. That was the biggest reason I shied away from the DIY stuff. If you get a color other than black it WILL fade if you leave the top off. The UV protector helps a little. OTOH, if you go with black it will be like an oven in the summer. When I get my '73 done I am going to try a lighter color like tan. The dark colors fade the worst (my '80 is done in red). One last thing; remove everything. Then reinstall bolts in the holes you want to keep. Mine cost about $500 three years ago.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

15. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

If you have the money go with a spray in like Line-X. If you don't go Durbak it will go on as thick as 40 mills with rubber particals IMO it beats the hell out of Duplicolur hands down.
    See if this link will work http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

16. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

if you can aford it go with the pro stuff like LINE-X, Rinoliner, or Permatech I have seen some of that diy stuff scrap off even when it was put on good and thick

but that is just my.02
    and i may be a little bias

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

17. WheelinK5

Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to go Rinoliner, I hope I can get it done for 500 or less.

1985 K5

18. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Rhino liner is great. I had it on a Jeep I used to have. Very thick, and also very expensive.

As for the Durabak fading... that is a known thing and they tell tell you that. It needs to be coated with a clear coat to stay the original color.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

19. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Try shopping around a bit, if you have the opportunity where you live. I've had RhinoLiner installed on 4 vehicles, from 2 different places within 15 miles of my home. One did a great job, the other was thin, drippy and generally sub-standard. You'll find that prices vary a bit, too. I'd suggest you go to the shop you're considering and look at a couple of the recent jobs they've done.

Good luck,

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

20. Rowdysr

Rowdysr Registered Member

I took the exterior of my 88 to bare metal, primed and sprayed the entire truck with bedliner. It looks really beefy! I love it. Easy upkeep and really tuff.