Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spray liner ? on doing the whole truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Nov 28, 2001.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Let me start by saying it is good to be back after being gone for a few days hunting. Before you ask, no I didn't get a deer.[​IMG] Anyhow I was planning to paint the truck next year but decided to just spray liner the whole thing with blue liner. I know a few guys here have done their trucks and was wondering about the cost and what kind of prep work was done to get it ready. I will probably buy the stuff and spray it myself but not sure yet. Also is there a special tape to use to mask stuff off that does not get lined. I think the liner will hold up alot better to trail rash then paint so give me some input on what ya'll think.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Most of the liners stick better to a roughed up painted surface. They do not stick well to primered surfaces. If you use Rhino liner you can forget about spraying it on with a regular spray gun; if you can find an undercoating setup, that will work. I ordered DURABA.K18 <a target="_blank" href=http://home.sprynet.com/~cotel/>http://home.sprynet.com/~cotel/</a>, which is Herculiner with UV protection, a selection of colors, and can be sprayed on with a regular gun.
    I will be spraying my truck in the spring time, let you know how it goes.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I have an 85 k5 that i coated with Durabak black. I rolled it on and it is insanely tough. Ive rubbed branches and berms and rocks and one can hardly tell. Rolling it on allowed me to get it into nooks and crannies and the stuff is way cheaper than rhino lining...i know my tub was sprayed with rhino. Go for it. My truck gets plenty of looks... no chrome...36 swampers...full cage...half doors... tube bumpers. and the stuff is about 80 bucks a gallon.

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

wayne, had my rhino'd for 600 in and out. I think it was good deal, but I worked with him in shop, did almost all prep work and helped him spray it. I am happy with, and it is thick too. I also started doing the undercariage with POR 15 and this stuff is hard as nails, but expensive! Guess it is up to you what you want. The tape can be had a NAPA and it is masking tape with a wire in it, and I used foam to plug up holes. Best result is bare metal or at least sanded rough, then use acetone and cheesecloth to take any residue and particles of stuff off rig before painting. Acetone will ensure a good bond for the stuff.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General