Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spray on Bedliner instead of paint...FYI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Apr 8, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

.I have gotten a lot of e mails in the past months asking about my Ultimate Lining instead of paint on my truck so I figured I would give some info and give you my opinion on it after almost a year of having it.

Ultimate Lining is just about the same thing as Rhino lining. The founder of Ultimate was partners with Rhino until recently.
    The basic make up of both linings is the same with just subtle differences in the chemical make up. You can also get the lining in just about any color you want!

I intended to use my Blazer for some off roading when I purchased it so when I started the restro process I decided to have it Lined instead of paint after I checked into the price of paint jobs! 2500 bucks was a little steep to pay when I figured it was going to get scratched and dented.

Maybe I should list some good points I have found with using it.

There is a Poly Clear coat over the Liner to protect it from UV rays and fading.

Your body work does not even have to be close to being perfect. This stuff hides everything! I just made sure there were no big ridges in the body filler and that was about it! There were even some dents in the hood that I decided to leave and I would pay you $10 to find them!

It also is a pretty good sound deadener. The doors close with a pretty good thud instead of the typical hollow sound.

This stuff is probably 3/16 of an inch thick. It takes a lot to scratch it! When I was replacing my trans I had the trans and transfer case on it side with the crossmembers still on. well it slipped out of my hands and the hole assembly fell against the side of the truck in to the door and the rear quarter. Well, it pushed the door and the quarter panel in pretty far, but when I pulled it off the truck had not so much as scratch in the liner and no dent at all. Try that with regular paint. I also just got back form the Midwest Spring K5 Thing and the Lining held up great to all the trail riding we did that weekend. Any scratches that were visible rubbed right out with my finger. We went through some pretty heavy brush, I think some other rigs suffered some good scratches.

You never have to wax the stuff, heck you cant! You would never get the wax out of the little nooks.

The mud washes right off.

Hey Lets face it, its different! I get a ton of people who stop me and ask question and want to feel it. That makes you feel pretty good!

I really haven't found anything I don't like about it. The worst things I would have to say about it is that it was a pain getting the locks back in. I also had to do some trimming around the handles and the windshield, but that was my fault because of the bad tape job I did.

So all in all, if you asked me if I would do it again I would have to say ... in a heart beat! It looks great and is very functional! Dont take my word, ask some of the others tthat have seen it!
    Any other quetsion just ask!
    [​IMG]
    Bigmeats

[​IMG]

2. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Thanks BigMeats!

I've been thinking the same thing instead of paint. I know you did the body work/prep yourself so the price was cheaper. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay? I realize we may not get the same price but I'm interested to see what you paid.

Can you explain the UV coating. I know it keeps the liner from fading but what exactly is it? How much did it cost for that? Also I know Rhino Linings sell something to make the lining look bright and shiny. What is that? ArmorAll type stuff(?) and have you put any on yet.

Thanks for your post.

3. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Duh,

I just saw the other post under red Herculiner. Thanks BigMeats.

Toad
    MY truck in not herculinered. It is Ultimate lined(same as Rhino) Go back and talk to the shops that quoted you 1500 bucks and ask them how much if you do all the prep work! thats what i did and it only cost me $450!! You would have a hard time matching the thickness of my liner with a roll on product. It would prob take 4 to 5 coats of a roll on to come close! Those prices seem kind of high to begin with when i was looking i was getting quots for right around a $1000 with them doing all the work! You can also get any color you want with the spray on liners, i chose just the standard blue. Any other questions just
    shoot.

Bigmeats

4. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Toad
    The uv coating is the same as the clear coat they put on a car, thats what i was told anyways. I have not heard of the stuff that keeps the lining looking shiny, if you or anyone else finds out let me know i would be interested!

Bigmeats

[​IMG]

5. JUNKYARDDOG

JUNKYARDDOG Registered Member

your truck looks good. I just sprayed my truck this past weekend and I used " Morton" spray in bed liner . its a urathane liner and the paint supplier didn't say anything about a uv protectant to spray over it . if any one has any info let me know . the Morton stuff was about $215 for a gallon and i used two gallons on my 88 blazer . i used one gal of grey and one gal of blue and two toned it . it looks awesome.

6. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

Junkyard can you post any pictures the two tone sounds pretty cool... I talked to the guy here that did linex about a 1 1/2 ago and he said at that time the colors other than black would fade bacause of uv does anyone know if they are still having that problem...

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hey Junkyard, fill in your bio so we know more about what you got. I would also like to see what you did. I'm planning on lining mine soon and I've never even heard of "Morton". After some resent posts I've seen, I may even do the entire body! [​IMG]

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'm considering the same thing and wanted to know what was required in the "prep work" Sanding etc... How did you prep it???

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ya, I got a question for ya. Where was that pic taken? Doesn't look like the other half was too happy at the time?

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

10. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Reddog

The only thing realy required is to sand the entire body with 80 grit sand paper or rougher. Then hit the bare spots with a self etching apoxy primer to help prevent rust. The shop i took it to recomended that i use 36 grit paper but said 80 would do fine also.

Bigmeats

[​IMG]

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Did you spray the clearcoat on yourself or did the shop do it.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

12. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

BigMeats,

The product for bringing the shine back is called Rhino Shine. Where did you pick up the self etching primer?

I'm going to try and get some quotes this week. Thanks for your help.

One more thing. Did you have inside done also?

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

13. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I have line-x on my rockers and I use Tire wet on it and it make it shiney for a while then I just spray some more up the

[​IMG]If you want to run cool
    you got to run on Heavy Heavy Fuel

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>

14. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

At the shop we have tried a few different spray liners. The Morton stuff that Junkyarddog used is excellent. Its a two part urethane product that goes on thick and is chemical reistant. Some one part liners can become soft and disolve with chemicals. Basically all bed liners need a uv resistant coating to help keep it from fading. Most brands have this built in but still offer it as an option for optimal protection. Ever seen a single stage paint that wasn't waxed, it fades and chalks up. Also if it can be sprayed do it, the brush type don't go on as thick and the texture is not as constant. One company even has a spray liner that glows in the dark, no problem at night. At the shop we sprayed red liner in my partners 89 1500 and also applyed black stripes down the bed and tailgate to match the body. Just sprayed a Ford bed last night with black Morton and it looks great. No matter what don't go cheap, the cheaper the quicker it will fade or dig up. And no matter what never try the Duplicolor $40.00 stuff its just like paint has no thickness and is not like a urethane rubber at all. Hey JYD when are you going to stop by and show us the two tone.

15. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Esteban86K5

The shop where i had it done at sprayed the clear coat. It was included in the price.

Bigmeats

[​IMG]

16. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I was going to buy it at the local Body shop supply house but the guy who sprayed my truck said he would do it for me. I did not have alot of spots that went to the bare metal so it was not that big of a deal.

Bigmeats

[​IMG]

17. JUNKYARDDOG

Ok here is what I have. I have an 88 blazer that has been through a war. I run a junk yard that is family owned since 1966 in Kinderhook NY. About 25 min south of Albany NY.
    I bought the blaze after it went up in a blaze!!!!!! The truck had a F.I. 350 w/ a th700r4 and a np 208. 3.08 posi and 31x10.50. silverado w/ A.C. power windows locks and everything. well it stayed stock for about a year then got BFG all-terrains 32x11.50. well i fixed the wiring harness and replaced all the topend stuff and drove it a while. the tranny slipped a little but kept running it till it pumped tranny fluid all over the headers and burned again. well i redid it all over again. this time i converted it to carb, which is the worst thing i could do. hate it. especially when rock climbing. i put a sm 465 w/ a 208. dana 44 hd and 14bolt w/ 3.73 and open diffs . a 3inch body ift and 4inch spring. now tires, i have had a couple of different sets. 1st bfg muds 35x12.50x16.5
    then 36x12.50 super swamppers tsl SX. i liked them, now i just got 38.5 x 15 x16.50 and so far these kick ass. i haven't gone wheelen with them yet but they should go good.
    Since i run a junk yard a dana 60 had to go in my truck. last winter i busted 2 front axles in my 44 climbing a shale hill with EXTREMEBLAZER. other mods, flowmasters , american racing wheels , edelbrock intake,cam,lifters,carb and chrome. the truck has been in primmer for 4 years and i didn't want to paint perfect and then wheel it. so that is what im about!!! Hey EXTREME if you read this call me so i can figure out how to put pictures online. any questions on swapping interchange parts write me . I'll try to write you back but im only on line once or twice a week.

18. JUNKYARDDOG

i did my entire truck and the removeable top. the stuff sticks to everything!!! i used a DA sander with 180 grit and primed some bare metal and sprayed the stuff. just use a wax and grease remover before spraying to be sure there is no oil on the surface. when i figure this computer out i will post picks.

19. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I called my local dealer that had the perma glo stuff. To do a truck bed is about $1500. Just for shits n giggles I asked how much it would be to do a whole truck, inside and out. $10,000+. Now wouldn't that be a sight on the trail...a fricken glow in the dark K5!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

20. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Dang! I thought the $2500 I was just quoted to do inside and out was a lot!
    I'm going to check around but I think I'll skip the glow in the dark stuff.