Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spray on Liner from a can

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sublmnl1990, Nov 16, 2004.

1. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and in the automotive section they had spray on bed liner in a spray paint size can. Has anybody used this stuff before? I was thinking about doing the lower 6 to 8 inches of the truck w/ the liner, to covewr up rock chips and other crap and figured it would keep it from rusting. I know if its prepped correctly you can have this done but if I can do it myself with the same results then why not. I cant remember the name brand but it was something I have heard of before. Just wanted to get an opinion or 2 or 3, to see if any one has used this stuff before. In tyhe spring I am planning on a roof rack and was thinking of lining the roof with the same stuff, it oxidized now and this would protect it if I drop any thing on the roof or through the rack. Gimme so feedback and Giddy Up! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i used 3m,dupli-color or rustoleum(cant remember) profesional under coating on the inner wheel wells. most of it has come off. i washed the wheel wells down but never scuffed em up or anything like that. the stuff that doesnt say profesional on it sucks. i preped it good and a few days after it dried i could slide my finger on it and it would rub off. the can was with the duplicolor car paints.

3. sublmnl1990

yeah I have used that undercoating stuff aswell but this stuff is like the actual bedliner material, I sprayed some on the counter and it is still there.

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

wouldnt hurt to try it. i thought you were talking about that stuff that come in a spray paint type can.

5. sublmnl1990

yes it does but I thought you were talking about the rubberized type under coating I am trying to explain this stuff is said to be the spray in bedliner like LINE-X. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. sublmnl1990

yes I rode the short bus to school /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I sanded the top and cab roof on my '78 Blazer and used 3 or 4 cans of the spray can bedliner before I put on my roofrack (which I got off a Pathfinder at Pick-n-Pull for $15) It has stood up to 3+ months of baking in the San Antonio sun.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I'm pretty sure that's what the PO of my truck did for the whole tub and it stands up pretty good, had a Q-jet, a steering box and a spare hub bouncing back there for a few wekks after I bought it and no dings.

I'm planning on doing the same to mine, lining the bottom segment below where the trim was. Someone has a nice job of that, I think it's 70jimmy ? It's in the member galleries somewhere.

9. big blazin sc

big blazin sc Registered Member

I don't know abou the rattle-can stuff, but i helped a buddy roll herculiner in his tub of a rodeo. It is holding up great, u can also spray herculiner from a gun.

10. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Im getting ready to do this. Any special gun, or would a basic one work? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Z /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. wkasak

wkasak Registered Member Premium Member

I used the herculiner roll-on for the lower half of the body below the moldings...has held up very well...prep is key...

12. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

you probably need a presure pot setup and a primer gun with a 2.0 tip to spray most of that stuff and a good inline filter so your not adding rust from your tank to the mix.

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    yes I rode the short bus to school /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

duplicolor in the can... works well and easy to touch up. Prep is important, also spray on one light coat and let it almost dry and go from there, don't try to build it up too fast cause it can lift the paint below it, and and it will sag. I shot my rockers with it like what you are thinking, and I like the results, also used it on my bumpers.

15. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

It's junk, buy the Hurculiner it's good stuff. I lined the entire floor inside my Jimmy with the Hurculiner and havent had any problems with it. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the stuff i used is flacking off.the cab is from TEXAS and rust free, so i want to keep it that way. i followed the inst, and still didn't work. thats what i get for being cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif