Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spray on liner prep HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k9man, Apr 11, 2001.

1. k9man

k9man Registered Member

I am trying to prep the inside of my blazer for a spray on liner but I can't seem to get the adhesive off used by the manufacture to glue on the carpet padding. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I caught hell trying to do this too. I ended up using a wire wheel, it does get everywhere but if you stop every once and a while and vaccuum up the stuff it wont be as bad. You could also try using a paint scraper or use a chemical such as Acetone or Zylene

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I used 3M adhesive remover (I think any brand will work- this was on sale at Pep Boys so I got it) and it worked for the most part. Some spots were very stiff and not coming off. I had to wire wheel those and scrape them with a razor blade. It was a HUGE pain to get those spots off. But I'm glad I did it because the carpet was very nasty and gross!

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

4. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

There are remover wheels for drills, I believe they are called "paint and varnish stripper". Basically black plastic fibers with a good ammount of airspace. Its not a great deefinition so maybe someone else can describe them better. They did wonders on everything in my truck before i did the bedliner. Although I didn't use them on glue.

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com