Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spray paint and rust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Jan 10, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

What spray paint really stops rust? I've tried a few brands, even kinds that claim to stop rust and still I get it. I sanded down some spots on the body of my truck to the metal a few years ago and primered them over. Never had an issue until before Christmas. I noticed rust showing through! I can sand it off and treat it. It's nothing big yet. But I don't want to have it cause any real issues. So what brands actually really stop rust? I don't want to try something else only to find out again it didn't work and this time I have some real rust issues. Thanks!

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Rust in CA?!?!?! Is it possible?

I've had pretty darn good luck with POR15. Just remember it works best when you remove the grease. It acutally bonds well to rusted surfaces. www.por15.com

3. ChevyCaGal

LOL, yes it does. It gets exposed to heavy dew and it rains here so moisture does show up on it. I was surprised. I thought rustolium (sp?) would keep that from happening, but guess not.

4. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

If you have rust now, I would recommend using a wire brush and removing the loose rust, then applying a rust inhibitor. You can buy this at Wal-Mart. This will bond with the rust and stop it from spreading. Then you can paint over it. I was taught that surface preperation is everything when you paint. Take your time and do it right the first time. I hope this works for you.

Jon

5. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

get hold of some rust killer with phosphoric acid base like Captin Lee's Rust Away - that works great but dont get it on good paint. Got mine at autobody shop but a marine supply howse might have it too. ~$20 a gallon.

Down here in Florida? All we got is mud, mud, more mud and rust /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Steph, did you paint over the primer? Primer is not intended to prevent rust unless it's covered with paint. Put a drop of water on it and watch how the primer changes color as the water soaks into it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It needs a coat of paint over the top of it to seal it.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I used POR15 inc, you can paint right over rust and it will stop it, it's a non-porous finish so it keeps the moisture out....
    por15

8. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Ditto to what <font color="orange">HarryH3 </font color> said, primer won't stop rust at all, you'll need to use some sort of paint over it. Krylon, Rustoleum, etc all have worked on my vehicles in the past. You won't need to go as far POR-15 or Hammerite (but they will most definitely work) as long as you clean it up good before putting a coat on.

9. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Only way i've found to stop the rust from the wonderful wisconsin road salt is to clear coat it. Primer, 2-3 layers of the color, and then 2 coats of clear coat. I clear coated my pickup tailgate, and no rust yet. Didn't use clear coat on the bumper from butch, and there are huge surface rust spots everywhere. It isn't much harder than the regular spray paint to lay down, but it does add gloss to the finish.

10. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm origanally from minnesota this is what i used to do wire wheel affected area than put naval jelly on it for a day then prime it and paint it por 15 works awesome on frames and rearends springs bumpers and just abot any thing I guess /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. eastk5

eastk5 Registered Member

you can also use rust encapsulator from eastwood company. It doesnt have to be top coated right away either.

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

por15 have uv paint now, so it needs no top coat...

13. ChevyCaGal

I used that rustolium and then sprayed some primer over that, and probably over time have added another coat of something. I was surprised is all because it said it works on metal and stops rust. Kinda why I got it. If it doesn't work then I would have got something else. Wish they'd say it works good, but not is for sure. The label makes it look like it's like the best ever when it really isn't... I guess next week when I get back (going to the snow this weekend) I'll be buying some thing else. I have used POR in a few spots and frankly I am not impressed. Maybe the new UV stuff is better, but the stuff that the sun hit has chipped and peeled away... thanks for the other recommnds for what to check into though! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

Even if you sandblast a rust spot to bare metal the rust can come back if you do not use a rust converter of some sort.

I doubt any paint can work like a rust converter.
    It's easy and cheap insurance.

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

First off rattel can paint/primer wont stop rust. What you need to do is take the rusty spot down to bare metal and remove all the rust. Then use some thinner to clean the area of any dirt and oils, even you skins oil will screw things up. Then use a tack cloth to clean off any lint. Next spray it with a good epoxy sandable primer. Now you can do any body work you need to do such as body filler. I would never use body filler aginst bare metal since its not a sealer like epoxy primer. Once you have done any body work that needs to be done spray it agine with a finish primer then paint it. If it's not sealed properly the rust will come right back.

16. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The label makes it look like it's like the best ever when it really isn't

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's called marketing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The primer will need paint on top of it. Rustolium (sp?) is pretty good...but you have to paint over it. I know you have a camo job on yours, just get some flat paint and it'll look the same /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif