Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spray paint for better looks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by st08x, Nov 20, 2002.

1. st08x

st08x Registered Member

anything wrong with spray painting the axles, undercarrige, and wheel wells black. a friend of mine did it to his truck and it still smells like paint. any other problems with it besides the smell?

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

There's nothing wrong with spray paint, I just painted my whole truck flat black. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Do you happen to have a pic of it?
    I was spray painting w/ flat black Rustoleum over where I did some body work and thought it looks pretty clean, but then thought maybe it would be too flat if it covered the whole truck.
    Did you have any problems with paint adhesion? What brand?
    I had a 76 I spray painted and the paint would rub off on your clothes if you leaned against it, but I used very cheap paint.

-- Mike

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I don't have any pics. I'm not sure what brand the paint was, it was cheap stuff that I got for $1 a can. I didn't have any problems with adhesion, and it doesn't rub off. I really like the look, and touch ups will be very easy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i spent $8 a can on vehicle paint to paint my blazer. 3 cans and i was all the way around. i bought vehicle paint at walmart. then i bought glass black and it took one can to do the whole topper. check out the pics. the blue is what i did. im sure that another 3 cans and it would looke nice, but one coat was enuff to get what i wanted for now

www.geocities.com/yz80foxracer/snorkle.html

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You'll find the high temp engine enamel leaves a great coat that looks good and applies evenly, not splotchy. The smell disapears a little quicker (not sure why) and its easy to touch up from rock damage. Its pretty resilient to scratches too.

I use it on mine...
    [​IMG]

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I agree with BorregoK5 use engien enamel.. much tougher paint...

I used the krylon Ultra Flat Camo colors to do mine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That Sh!t dont scratch off at all! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    2 bucks each at wallmart... I used 30 cans.... but i did lots of sanding and painting and masking /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It turned out awsome!

[​IMG]

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

oh yeah... I used flat black on my axles and engine enamel for the green on the diffs.... stuff works GREAT!!!

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I got Krylon satin white on my doors. This is a crummy picture, but the doors look decent enuff. Walmart has the cheapest Krylon.
    [​IMG]

10. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

My K5 is Flat black I got the paint at K-Mart I did it about two years ago it's time to do it again, This time I'll do more sanding and use better paint you can see a pic of it Here right now the front fenders are green from trying to find a new color to paint it.

Eric

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I painted this Truck with the cheap $.99/can paint in 1996, and it lasted just fine through 2001, when I started to take the truck apart to rebuild it.

I've used the same cheap black paint for axlehousings and leaf springs...durable enough for the price. Usually needs a re-coating every once in a while.

12. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Same here...
    I used Med-Blue Metallic on my restoring 78 blazer, for the outside, it looks cool but hard to match to the original color in which the last owner had gone half a$$ by applying White over it, started chipping when he left it in the shop for almost two years.
    Undercarriage I fully cleaned and replaced those old hoses and somewhat, painted it Gloss-Black Metallic /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It made the truck look new again and had friends thinking I was nuts to paint under there in the first place.
    Maybe thats what make us K/5 people love our vehicles so much.
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif