Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spraying roll cage with rhino lining.

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by paulmoon, Dec 17, 2004.

1. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever sprayed their roll cage, tube bumpers, sliders with Rhino lining (or equivalent)? I'm considering doing mine that way. Wondering if it would hold up well? I've sprayed my bed with it and that's worked well. Any thoughts from others about that?

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Buddy of mine Hurculined his cage,holding up so far, 2 years now...:xmas:

3. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply.Did it look OK or wierd?

4. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

i could see doing a cage and think it would look good too, but it would be a PITA to scuff a cage for that stuff to get proper adheasion. and i would powder coat stuff like bumpers and sliders you really wouldn't want that kind of stuff to have an extra "grippy" surface IMO. but powder coating can also be a pain if you chip it you have to strip the piece and start over but if you just spray bomb it you get the ease of touch-ups.

5. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Looked fine...He did the whole tub also,don't have to worry about scuffing anything up with boots or cargo.Hose it out when dirty,pretty good idea.:D :xmas:
    BTW, it's black...

6. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

cool. May try it....The tube bumpers and roll cage are welded to the frame! No can power coat! Ditto the sliders. scuffing does sound like a PITA though. maybe I'll try a small area just to see. the Tubes have never been painted, just raw steel at this time. Masking everything really sounds a serious pain also. Anyone else have any experience with this?

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I just finished doing my whole floor in the herculiner, it was really easy and seems to be really tough so far, I tried to scrap it with a screw driver and it didnt even budge:grin:

8. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

OK. I'll give it a try! All in favor? Say aye! All oposed? Say ney!
    (That's assuming the weather warms up a little.)

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I wasn't looking forward to masking everything to paint my roll cage, so I bought a quart of Tremclad's brush on rust paint and painted it with a brush. I know it sounds hokey, but that paint flows out real good and you cannot tell it was brushed on. It also goes on thicker and tougher than the spray bomb crap. I used grey...

Rene

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

My whole truck is coated with either Linex (inside tailgate to firewall and side panels) or durabak (outside) except for the bumpers, sliders and cage. Painted those for a couple of reasons. 1) easy to repair scratches and gouges. 2) I tend to grab onto the rollcage in different areas either when crawling aroud in the rear of the truck, or getting in and out, etc. Linex, rhino, etc. are too rough on hands 3) My cage is bolt together, so didn't want to leave the areas close to the bolts unprotected with something, or impossible to get out due to being coated with Linex.

If you don't have any of these considerations, I see no reason not to Rhino your cage

11. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I rhino'd my right slider, and lineX my LH slider. I want to see which one holds up better. I like the non-slip surface since these double as steps to get in and out with. They have been on for two months, and have no gouges yet, but I havent had the full weight of the truck on them yet. Maybe next weekend though.

12. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the 411... Masking sucks! I was considering rolling it on, and see how that looks/works. It about 10 degrees this morning here. Spraying may just not be an option until spring! Pam, I saw Pics of your truck with the "paint" job. Looks great! I'm going to spray the low side of the doors,
    etc.
    I'm going to cover the bar mostly with padding,(At least around the cab), so rough surface will be OK. It sounds like "rhino" lining is more than strong enough to work. Maybe better than paint. The truck just got home yesterday from the fabricators shop. So much work, so little time! Still need to make brake lines, put on the new Tires/rims, seats, weld new diff to spring hangers,install new drivelines...etc, etc...and it's just so damn cold in the garage! Wonder if I can get it into the living room??

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks - I do like it better than paint. Thought it would be hard to keep clean, but not a prob so far.

Definitely need warmer temps for Rhino, or Durabak or whatever. Maybe ya oughta take a road trip to SoCal - no prob with low temps here :D

14. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

No offense...but I'd rather let it rust than go to So Cal to paint:rolleyes: Lived there long enough to not want to go back...:haha: But yeah, painting now will be tough! I'll see if I can get it warm enough in the garage. We'll see.
    Besides the sking is better here. Closer and more areas to pick from. Have you gotten any days in yet? It's been so icy here that it's been VERY dangerous lately. We've have 5 spleen lacerations and two liver lacerations this week alone in the ICU. BAD conditions here!

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

No offense taken. Moving from here as soon as I can - going to WA. Originally looked at moving up your way - it's beautiful. But pricey.

And no, I haven't had one darn day of skiing yet. Local mountains are bare and haven't had the time to drive to the snow for a multiple day trip. Maybe sometime mid-January...

16. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

getting VERY pricey! We moved here in '87 when it was still affordable. Now forget it. We could never afford a house here now. We'll just have to stay I guess!:D
    It is nice here, rivers, lakes, 12 or so ski areas, the Rubicon and fordyce trails right here. LOTS of offroading areas. So Cal had a lot of nice things to do there also, just too crowded there for us now. WA is nice . my brother lives just north of Seatle. Other family in Squim (spelling?)WA. Nice there too. Suppost to snow tonight I think. Raining right now in San Franciso. The snow here is so HARD. Total boilerplate. Not worth getting on. Serious injuries left and right. I ski patrol at one of the small local areas. Not even worth doing that just yet! Oh well...better next week, after this snowfall!

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Good to know I'm not missing anything up there, snow-wise, yet. Sounds like east coast skiing to me. But this new storm looks big - should get a good dump up your way.

Housing prices there are like they are here. Except you don't have drive by shootings, smog, too-close-to-the-sun heat in summer, etc. So we have some extras you don't. Of course, we pay more for that.:rolleyes:

18. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

One word: FLATLANDERS

19. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Washington skiing

You will love the skiing up here in WA. I live out in Oak Harbor right now and even from the islands it is only a couple hours to steven's pass, mt. baker, and just a couple more up to the legendary whistler/blackcomb mountains! Four wheeling is great too!!!

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

*start of hijack* Oak Harbor on Whidbey? *end of hijack*