Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spraying Rust Bullet

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Mastiff, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm trying to figure out what it would take to spray "Rust Bullet" (kinda like POR-15, but hopefully better) instead of brushing. I really know nothing about spray guns. I have an air compressor, what should I look at for spraying on stuff that's kind of thick and probably more toxic than normal paint? I'd like it to go on as thick as possible too.

I've heard the following terms, and I barely know what they mean:

- Conventional sprayer (attach to your compressor, sucks up with a straw? Probably makes the most clouds of atomized paint?)
    - Gravity feed (like conventional, maybe better for angles? Maybe fewer clouds?)
    - High-volume, low-pressure?
    - Airless (all new equipment, no compressor?)

Any thoughts? Anyone ever sprayed POR15 or Rust Bullet?

2. Mastiff

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup, get an airless. friggin wagner power painter or something.. they spray thick stuff good.. we have one at work that sprays outta 5 gallon buckets works great for that kinda stuff..

you could use a shutz/undercoating gun, but definitely need a little more spraying expertise and equipment for that..

you can get regular syphon/pressure feed guns to spray it, but you need not stock, bigass nozzles and caps and small fluid needles.. definitely the most complicated and pricey..

4. Spkrman

Spkrman Registered Member

bought one, didnt work for shat... perhaps it was designed to spray water???

also bought some other cheap @$$ tools off ebay and all were complete crap.... a corded drill that had about as much power as a lil handheld screwdriver, and a grinder that didnt have enough power to grind styrofoam....

5. Mastiff

Yeah, I figured those things would be too crappy. I'm just going to use a brush for most places. For spots that I really need to spray and don't care about the finish (just want rust protection), I'm gonna try using a plastic squirt bottle. One guy said it worked for him for POR-15. Then you just pitch the squirt bottle.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That's not a bad idea!

7. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i had a wagner and didnt like it, returned it and went out and rented a big airless unit, you can rent them from home depot sherwin williams and probably any house paint store. most of the time there is a deposit and a rental fee, we have an airless at work that we tear some of the filters out of and spray fibered roof coating through :eek: :eek1: only down side to using the airless is the amout of hose you have most of the time 50 feet that holds alot of material. we actually painted a crane with an airless using regular automotive paint!!! takes some experience to use, let me know how the rust bullet turns out i have been thinking of buyin some. chris