Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!@#$ Spring bolt.. how in the hell do you get it out HELP FAST PLEASE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Jun 5, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

RUSTED putting on my springs has been a simple. Last bolt is being a PIA. I dont have a way to heat it up. I used ever oil i own, still will not move!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Whats next!

Mike

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the centering pin that holds all the leaves together?

First, take a c-clamp and clamp them together so that they don't fly apart when you take it out. If it's rusted really bad then you can grind /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif or cut /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif the head off. You could also just take a couple of vise grips and twist the head off since they aren't very big. Then go get some new ones. Most parts shacks will have them for a few bucks each.

If you're talking about the spring eye or shackle bolts then an air gun works great if you have one avaialble. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Otherwise get a long breaker bar and pull like the dickens.

3. 84CUCV

I broke my breaker bar. i think i am going to try to heat it some way. thanks mike

4. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

use a grinder with a cutting disk to reach up between the old leafs and spring pockets and cut the bolt out.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I broke my breaker bar. i think i am going to try to heat it some way. thanks mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I have actually had that problem a few time.
    I got a 3/4" breaker bar with the 3/4" sockets with a cheater bar I was able to take the nuts off.
    Some trucks that's all it took, some the bolt was still stuck in so i had to press it out with my U joint press.
    The last i did that didn't work so I used the sawzall and cut the bolt from the inside of the spring hangers.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Re: !@#$ Spring bolt.. how in the hell do you get it out HELP FAST PLEAS

I had to use a saw on one of mine, the nut came off but the bolt was frozen, 0 Degrees Kelvin frozen

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Die-Grinder with a 3/32" Cutting wheel /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Be a man...use a 7" grinder with a cut off wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't even bother looking for the right wrench or sockets for that anymore, just cut the bolts and press in new bushings with new bolts.

Rene

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Be a man...use a 7" grinder with a cut off wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't even bother looking for the right wrench or sockets for that anymore, just cut the bolts and press in new bushings with new bolts.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! Thats no joke. I have a 7" Dewalt grinder and use worn out 14" chop-saw wheels on it. I cheat death everytime I fire that thing up. I think it's the most dangerous tool I own. With a fairly worn out wheel on there, my hand is only like 2" from the wheel as it spins. The death machine. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you are talking about cutting the heads off.
    Well I did that and one of them still wouldn't go out, it was one with the bushing so I had to cut from inside of the spring hanger.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. tRustyK5

No, I'm not a retard, I only want to cut once and be done with my portable finger eater. I cut inside the hanger right next to the spring, then drill out most of the rubber bushing until I can push the remains out.

I usually use an 8" cut off disc on my grinder.

Of all my tools I have at my buddy's place, the only one he was 'scared' of was my 7/9" Makita grinder. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No, I'm not a retard, I only want to cut once and be done with my portable finger eater. I cut inside the hanger right next to the spring, then drill out most of the rubber bushing until I can push the remains out.

I usually use an 8" cut off disc on my grinder.

Of all my tools I have at my buddy's place, the only one he was 'scared' of was my 7/9" Makita grinder. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I didn't say you were.
    Are you saying I am? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

J/K

Well you learn from experience. Now I try turning the bolts first if the bolt and the bushing sleeve turn as one, I don't bother, I cut on the inside.
    I am sure some are wondering why I say next time... Well I have that operation once every few weeks, for parting out a truck or upgrading one of my many trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. 84CUCV

Nut came off too. Bolt it self is frozon. Cuting it today. thanks guys mike

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had to cut two of mine with a sawsall on my last go around. Now I take them apart and grease them now and then.

15. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

I to believe in the "PORTABLE FINGER EATER" approach.
    But, eat your Wheaties, lift wieghts when you can, by all means "WEAR GLOVES", and use the best stuff of the planet,
    /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gifPB blaster /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    When I say this, I mean plan ahead. One week before you even think of turning a wrench, soak them every day, 2 or three times a day.
    If that fails, I prefer a 2 stroke demo saw and thoughts of an ex wife to get the job done.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I to believe in the "PORTABLE FINGER EATER" approach.
    But, eat your Wheaties, lift wieghts when you can, by all means "WEAR GLOVES", and use the best stuff of the planet,
    /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gifPB blaster /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    When I say this, I mean plan ahead. One week before you even think of turning a wrench, soak them every day, 2 or three times a day.
    If that fails, I prefer a 2 stroke demo saw and thoughts of an ex wife to get the job done.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PB is the best but I tried on that one and after a week nothing changed.
    I cut it and then pressed it out on my 20ton press and it scared my neighbours with the screeching it did.
    /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Your situation struck a nerve. Mine was the damn steeering arm. I don't know of anything more frustrating than that last bolt that wants to be a beotch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    OR, having 4 wheel parts send you the wrong springs!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your situation struck a nerve. Mine was the damn steeering arm. I don't know of anything more frustrating than that last bolt that wants to be a beotch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    OR, having 4 wheel parts send you the wrong springs!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for the steering arm, I found a way.
    Most times the cones are so pressed on the studs that they develop threads.
    I use a chisel, stick it in the split and hit it to turn the cone like a nut and loosen it up.
    It comes out after a couple of whacks and you spin it off like a nut.
    Hasn'r failed yet.
    It happened by mistake when I was trying to pry it open so it pops out and I have been doing that ever since.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. 84CUCV

Spent a while today with /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif. Really didnt even make a dent in that grade 8 bolt!! Got pissed nailed it a few times with a BFH. Got it to mave a inch and that is it!!
    !@#$ BOLT1!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif If i use a torch would i hurt the bracket? Just got one form a sale for 100 bucks. How many turns out on each would i need to cut anyway? PLMK so i can get this done.

Mike

20. tRustyK5

Sawzall is useless on those bolts...use a grinder with a cut off disc. Get the disc up between the spring and the INSIDE of the hanger...just cutting off the head of the bolt won't help you.

Rene