Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring bolt removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandy78, Jan 13, 2007.

1. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Okay, I'm dropping my 10B w/Springs attached to make room for my 4" lift and D60 :D . I am having great difficulty with the bolts holding the springs on to the truck. They are almost 30 yrs old, and sledgehammer is having trouble convincing them to leave. Since I don't intend to reuse the springs, I am thinking of cutting the bolts inside the mounts with either sawsall or angle grinder. Has anyone used either? Which worked best? Anything to watch out for? Thanks.

2. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem with my rear spring bolts The sawzall just wasnt cutting them so I used the angle grinder

3. Steve GMC

Steve GMC 1/2 ton status

if u can get a big angle grinder (7-9") thatd be perfect. my 41/2 once the tip wore offf the grinding wheel i had to get a new 1. then i just got mad and used the torch. and sawzalls do nothing to grade 8 bolts

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've been there. sounds to me that the sleave inside the bushing has frozen to the bolt and that bolt is going no where. I used an angle grinder, I had to get creative on the angles inorder to cut more into the bolt. Also I just went straight through the bushing and burn bushing doesn't smell good. :eek1:

5. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

Exactly I couldnt have said it better.:bow:

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Make sure you put some anti-sieze around the new bolts when they go in. It will keep this from happening again.

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I used a torch. Angle grinder would be the next best choice.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The only way to do it! Run a larger diameter thin wheel between the hanger and spring itself and cut the bolt. WATCH YOUR FINGERS!

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i use a air hammer with button head thats concaved so it wont fall off the bolt wile hammering on it. this will 75% of the time release it from the death grip of rust. but if not heat the bolt up on the head and threads. let it cool and the heat will soak in then air hammer it again. this will get them about 95% of the time. last is cut it out 5% of the time.

once it moves to the point you cant hammer on it. then drive it back in and back out a few times this will push the rust out.

and i live and work in the rust belt of he!! thay dump salt all winter long around hear.

10. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Spring bolt removal report.

Went to Home Depot and picked up a 7" metal blade for my Skil circular saw. Cost me $2 and went right through them. I really wouldn't have wanted to reuse as they were really rusted away. Rearward shackle hanger bolts came right out just like they were put in yesterday. No rust or anything. Go figure. Thanks for the suggestions guys!