Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring bushings/help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roadnotca, Nov 20, 2005.

1. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Anyone have the trick method for pushing-out the sleeved bushings from TuffCountry (RR) EZ-Ride springs; I'm installing ORDs. This is not the Poly or the Rubber ones that mount direct to the spring eye, but the steel sleeved ones with a shoulder. I hope its not the same method as GM stock.:confused:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Use a torch to burn the rubber out then use a hacksaw blade to cut the sleeve and remove. The way i do it is to get the rubber where it starts to burn then let it burn for about 30 seconds then blow the fire out and use a punch to punch the rubber out of the steel shell. Be careful as the rubber starts to burn because it will start to pop and fling hot rubber at you. They do come out very easy this way though.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, if they won't come out easily, they probably won't come out in one piece. Just use a cut off wheel to chop them off flush with the spring and then use the drill/chunk method. Of course, if you have a torch or a press, thats the easy/fast way to do it. :grin:

j

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Thanks Guys, been there, done that with the stock. Actually, these in the TuffCountry are worse because of the flange (jek) that hides the spring so there's nothing to "press" against. When I figure a way to get these to fall out, I'll let you know. BTW, to pull the Poly or rubber ones, I used 1/2 threaded rod, nuts, washers, 1/2 drive socket larger than the steel sleeve and ORD's sleeve as the driver. Push the old sleeve out 1/2 way, the rest can be pulled with vise-grips and large channel-locks.:bow:

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what do you mean by a "flange"? just the poly/rubber shoulder on the bushing? sawzall/cutoff wheel it off.

j

6. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

i used a sawzall carefully to cut through the flange on two sides so there was enough room to put the spring eye directly on the blocks of my press and pressed them from the non flanged side

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

jek, crazy had the same thing, its a steel shell pressed into the spring eye, it has a turned out flange to butt against the spring leaf eye; it takes all of two seconds to install at factory. crazy, good idea, that works. I've got another idea I want to try, won't have time though until after the Turkey's gone.

8. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

let us know how it went

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

with pictures.:D