Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring bushings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lasvegas, Mar 26, 2001.

1. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

Another quick question. I put in a 4" lift from Rough Country (with new rear springs, not blocks) and then bought a complete set of greaseable bushings for the entire suspension along with the nice shackles from ORD. I put all the parts in except the bushings on the rear springs. It was a ton of work taking the old bushings out of the rear shackles. Is it just as hard to take the brand new rubber bushing out of the spring eyes of the rear springs. I was hoping maybe the rear shackles were just hard to remove because of age or something. Is there a trick to removing new rubber bushings or is it the same drill (drilling, gouging and hammering - I do not own a torch). And I wondered if the rubber busings are pressed in or are they glued or bonded in some way?

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I haven't removed new bushings, but have heard putting some light grease on them makes 'em go in easy, which would also help them coming out if they weren't in there forever. The stock ones coming out have been in there so long with all the weight of the vehicle trying to smash them together, plus a little rust and breakdown of the rubber make them stick. The poly bushings are more resistant to chemicals, so shouldn't stick so bad.

[​IMG]