Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring direction and military wrap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a set of rear springs that I am going to put on (have been meaning to for months). They have a military wrap on one eyelet and the other end has a regular eye. See picture http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun75/aaa (sorry for the quality, I am new with a camera /forums/images/icons/blush.gif. My question is does the end with the military wrap go to the front or the rear (shackle end)? Thanks in advance.
    Chris

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I say to the front....

Marv

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have to believe that's true coming from the "Suspension Man" himself /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif. Thanks!
    P.S. is there a reason for one eye having it and not another.

Just my curious mind. I like to know WHY things work, not just how they work. Again thanks.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

To tell the truth... I don't really know why. Just every time I've seen "double wrap" leaves on only one side, they've been to the front. My front springs have it....

I do think the front eye takes a lot more of the forces than the shackle end - so I'd guess that that's why.

Marv

5. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

The double wrap eye acts like a traction bar to help reduce wheel hop.

6. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

how much lift are u gonna get from those springs, they look quite large.

phill

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

This is my understanding, it’s what I believe but I’ve never seen it in a definitive reference.

Double wrap goes on the front. It helps limit flex/wrap in the main leaf to reduce wheel hop (long second leaf extending to the mid point of the front eye works just as well) and to reduce fatigue in the critical front section of the main leaf. If the main leaf fatigues and breaks (often at the pin or just in front of the pad), the wrap on the second leaf will help hold the axle in place relative to the front stationary eye. At least enough to allow a controlled stop. Makes no sense on the rear since the shackle would not help locate the axle in the case of catastrophic failure of the main leaf. That’s what the “military wrap” is really all about.

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Yup, it's there in case of main leaf failure and should be mounted to the solid eye. I've seen it work before, just like it's supposed to. We limped a Bummer truck out of Pritchett one time with the stock miltary wrap spring in front, some vice grips and the swaybar back in stock location to help hold it.

It can also help out on the LF if you have standard GM steering because the steering forces are hard on the main leaf when it's drooped out.