Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring eye bolt UPDATE I WIN!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jun 23, 2006.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am in the process of removing my rear lift springs and doing the 56" swap with a shackle flip. Anyway got the pass side off in about 3 minutes, and the shackle end of the Driver side came off fine, but the forward bolt on the driver side is stuck. It will spin free, but I can't get the bolt out. There really isn't much access to the nut side to punch it out. I am guessing it's stuck to the sleeve. Anybody got a tip trick without destroying the bushing. I'm selling the springs, and the bushings are in great shape.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Are you saying the nut is off, but the bolt won't slide out, and you can get to the nut end to drive it out? I'd probably just give a smack or two with the hammer and drift, on the bolt head towards the nut end... that may break it loose from any rust that might have caused it to seize to the sleeve. Take some WD-40 and see if you can get some into the sleeve using the red straw.. from either end, or both if possible. Use that and a couple of good hammer blows, and it might free it up.

3. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

gring the head off and punch it out from the bolt side.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The hanger design will not allow that.

If you have air tools, try using an air gun and put some side angle pressure while backing the bolt out. Sometimes the threads will grab and screw itself out.

You may also consider cutting each end of the bolt next to the bushing allowing the spring to come out and then you can remove the left over small pieces.

5. MTBLAZER89

We wedged a wrench it there and tried to make the bolt screw itself out, but no joy. I sprayed it down good last night before I quit so hopefully that helped. I will update tonight when I get done trying.:D

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A slide hammer connected to the head of the bolt could do the trick.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

pry..

I've used a pickle fork used for tie rod ends to pry the bolts out...wedge it between the bolt head and the hanger and pound it in with a hammer,and pry sideways--if you have help,do this while turning the bolt,preferably with an impact..if this doesn't seem to work,the best option is to do what Nvrenuf said,cut the bolt shank off on both sides next to the bushing and pry the hanger open slightly,and drop out the spring..if your careful,the bushings will live,they may get scuffed up some,but not waste em...then its up to the next guy to go get the remaining portion stuck in the bushing pressed out!...

I know in your instance this wont work,but I've removed "stuck" shackle bolts with the nut side facing you by grinding the head completely off the bolt after taking the nut off,then add a few washers to it and screw the nut back on,then tighten it with an impact wrench..usually this pulls the bolt thru the bushing easily,you may have to add more washers when you run out of threads and repeat if its really stubborn..

If I get one thats just plain NOT going to come out--thats when my oxyacetalyne torches come out!..:weld: THEN it comes RIGHT off!..but then I need new bushings--:crazy:

8. MTBLAZER89

Wedged a screwdriver in betweenthe hangar and the bushing and used a cutoff wheel in the grinder. Cut off both ends with minimal damage to the bushing even. I would resuse it, but it will need a new sleeve:crazy: :D

9. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I just finished removing my rear springs. The front bolt on both sides did not want to come out. I slide the washer to the head of the bolt. Then placed a adjustable wrench behing the washer. The I beat the crap out of the wrench with a BFH. Bolt of them popped right out.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

FYI my buddy enlightened me to this trick. When you install the new bolts put a coating of grease on the unthreaded part so it will be less likely to corrode or rust to the sleeve. It works pretty well. We did it on my truck when we did new springs. We had to take the springs back out of the truck for something after 6-8 months of wheeling with a few water crossings and the bolts slid right out no problems.

Harley