Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring Eye shackel bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, May 20, 2005.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

Is there any good trick to getting theses bolts out. I have hit them with a 20 pound hammer and they will still not move. I can't use the torch because they are right next to the gas tank.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

3' cheater bar? if that wont work, try a grinder.

j

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

good air chissle with concave button head. and also a long punch head . this with spinning them with the air gun will help.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

no sparks...

Near the gas tank huh--that sux...safest way with no open flame or sparks is a sawsall--cut the bolt by putting the blade between the spring eye and the hanger(cut on both sides)..and deal with it later when the spring is out...OR--

I've had success getting the bolts out by cutting off the bolt head after removing the nut,and grind it flush to allow it too "pull thru" by adding washers to the nut side and tightening the nut,and add more washers as it pulls thru..this is very difficult if the head of the bolt is toward the frame,on some trucks it is.(sawsall is easier in that case)... .once you get the bolt the pull thru even a little,it usually comes free from the sleeve in the bushing with a little hammer and punch persuasion.. :crazy: