Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring Fever - BIG TIME!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

All of you in Northern California know what I'm talking about....it's been a long, wet, dreary winter. Over the last couple of days, the sun has come out....it's warm, and there's a sea of humanity gathering around outside on lunchbreaks....it's getting light earlier, and staying light later in the evening. The smell of BBQs cooking are starting to fill the air.

I've got spring fever BIG TIME!!!!!

Last night I starting looking at my K5 and wondering "How hard would it be to pull this top off?" Remember I'm new to K5's so I've never done this before. I found only about 4 bolts attaching the top to the body (prevous owner was a bit lazy!)....and then I shot a liberal coating of WD-40 around what was left of the rubber gasket to help it release it's death grip on the body. It finally came loose and is all ready for the big unveiling tonight.

I need to get some straps and pulleys so that I can hoist it up and off by myself. Hopefully I can get that done tonight! By this weekend I hope to by "cruising the K5" in proper topless style!

Just thought I'd share my excitement with the list!

-GregB
    72 Blazer CST
    w/ Big Bad 427

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Cool beans, Greg. I removed my top for the first time the year before last in order to change out the window gaskets. I decided to drive it around topless for a few days. Man, I was seeing all sorts of heads turning and craning to look at the Blazer. Have fun causing traffic accidents. <GRIN>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey dude, duno if you found them yet but in the sunvisor mounting braket is another bolt, long bolt that goes thru the window frame up into the top. ONe on each side.
    Good luck!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Greg72

I wish you had told the previous owner about that!!!! It looks like one is factory, and the other one was accidentally torn out and replaced with a REALLY messy, globby welded-in nut! ;^)

It works but it's not very pretty.

I did a test lift by myself just to confirm that everything was 'free and clear'.....went to OSH at lunchtime and bought some eye-bolts with lag screw ends, some swivelling pulleys, 100' of 3/8" HD rope, and a crank-type winch. Tonight, I'll be settting up my 1-Man-Hoisting contraption and see if I can safely lift the top by myself. I got a racheting-style winch so that I shouldn't have to worry about the top making any unscheduled trips to the concrete! ;^)

Maybe I'll snap a few photos of the setup if it works....

-GregB
    -Greg72

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well did you drop it Greg?[​IMG]
    I actually hate my hard top! I don't plan on puttin it back on any time soon! The soft top I have works great and when wheelin with the top off the visability is great!! Not to mention wheelin with the hardtop on seams to make more creeking body twisting noises, almost sounds like the hard top is gonna bust in half or something. Anyway I hate my hardtop!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Greg72

I'm almost there....last night I managed to find the rafters in the ceiling (it's a finished garage with drywall) and which direction they are running, and set my lag eyebolts dead center in those beams. I took some quick measurements of the fiberglass top and determined that it was about 69" wide, and roughly 90" long. I set up two pulleys 6 feet apart to lift the rear corners of the top (the hatch end) and then I set up a single pulley 8 feet from the other two, (cenetered) to lift the lighter windshield side. Basically I have a triangular-shaped configuration of pulleys, which will hopefully make the whole arrangement more stable than a 4-point lifting system.

The problem now is that I need to set up some additional pulleys to consolidate those three ropes (somewhere close to the center of that imaginary triangle) and bring them down the side wall of the garage into the racheting winch I bought. I didn't have enough parts or time to get this all completed last night.

The weather is supposed to be great all weekend, so I am VERY motivated to get this final step figured out and completed. I'll keep everyone posted.

-Greg72

7. Greg72

Hi All,

Well it took me a few days to get over some kind of illness that had been going through my office, but this weekend I had enough energy to complete the "pulleys from hell" project, as I now refer to it.

Here's a little about what I learned:

Swivel pulleys work fine for the 3 corners of the virtual "triangle" that lifts the top off.

Three pulleys stacked and lag bolted to the rafter in the center of the triangle to consolidate all the ropes had better be a lot beefier than a 3/8" lag bolt! (Like I used)

Yes....I got the top up off the truck, but MAN that pulley and lag bolt setup is tweaking hard! Basically the entire weight of the top is pushing sideways against that bolt, and I don't see it lasting long before it breaks. I got the top up high enough to drive out from under it....and then I rushed to get a bunch of 2x6's bolted together underneath the top to support it and relieve the stress on that pulley system.

I will probably have to take the pulleys down and either find a beefier set of pulleys with 5/8" openings, or ream the ones I have out to the larger size.

Also, if you decide to use the little racheting hand crank to lift the top, be advised that most have a very low ratio....(lots of handle turns for a small amount of actual movement of the ropes). The takeup spool gets full of rope VERY quickly, and the top is barely off the truck. For my next version, I will convert the last 5 feet of rope to some sort of nylon strap material so that it will wind up more space-efficiently.

CONCLUSION:

It works....it could be better......and as always, the experience of making some mistakes or faulty assumptions, leads you to do it better the second time around. I will try to get some pictures to show the current state of the design, and hopefully the list will benefit from this excercise. I still believe that once I get these final "bugs" worked out, it will be a slick and easy-to-use system for removing and installing the top.

THE PAYOFF:

My wife, my dog and I went for a drive around sunset last night for the first time in the topless Blazer. What a great feeling!!!! We picked up some Chinese Take-out and enjoyed the great summer-like weather. The only thing they forget to tell you about, is that if your truck is dirty or dusty inside.....the first time you drive it topless, all that "great new air" blowing tends to send it right into your eyes and face! ;^)

I can't wait to drive it again....!!

-Greg
    '72 CST
    w/Big Bad 427

8. 69AZBlazer

69AZBlazer Registered Member

I have a similar setup in my garage. I have five pulleys though. Four at the corners, and one to consolidate the front. I will also try to take some pictures of mine to post. The problem is that the rope stretches too much. Also, we are in the process of selling our house and building a new one. My wife is a realtor and says I have to dismantle my system because most home's rafters are not built to hold a load. I know the home builders mostly say that to cover themselves, but it probably is hard on a 1 1/2" wide piece of lumber to hold a lag bolt with 100+ pounds on it.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had the opposit problem. When I bought my K5 the top was off. Me and a friend put it back on by ourselves! Man is that thing heavy! One of us on each side we lifted it up and put the front on the bed rails. Than while he held the back I climbed in and lifteded it and slid it forward. Next time I think 5 people would be much smarter.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust