Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring frame cleaning!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rockjunkies, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

I have my frame sitting in the garage and I am wondering what would be the best way to strip it of all it's grease and paint and rust? I know that sandblastin would do it, but I don't like to clean up after it. I was thinking of using moratic acid. Maybe spray it on, hose it off in the driveway. Anybody have any experience or other ideas.

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well here are my 2 ways that are fairly cheap

1.Try an oven cleaner on the grease and it comes off pretty good you just have to prep the frame soon because any spots that are bare metal(the oven cleaner will find them) will start to rust quickly. don't ask????
    2.Get a gallon size of the castrol super clean(buy some hand gloves you don't want it on your hands again don't ask) this stuff really works good use it full strengh with a firm brush...I have even used it on painton the body and never hurt the paint (it's been 7 months now and no diff.) but try on the paint at own risk!!!!!!! I think it is better than the oven cleaner and any other spray cleaners i.e. brake cleaners and the like....jm2cents..mike

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just ask Greg72...
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo35/aab>"It's all about the 30 cans of Brake cleaner and 3 of the wife's toothbrushes"</a>

4. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

I think that I will try the oven cleaner. If I could just get rid of the grease and grit, I would paint over the rest.