Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring hanger location with 63's *UPDATE* I fixed the problem!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Jul 17, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Spring hanger location with 63\'s *UPDATE* I fixed the problem!

I got my 63's bolted up a few weeks ago and dropped my rig back down on it's wheels. I noticed my shackle angle was terrible and I need to move the mount foreward quite a bit to correct that. I was thinking that I might move the front mount which is currently under the body mount back a little instead. This would stretch my wheel-base another 2 inches and correct the 90* angle my shackle is at. Where did you mount your front spring hanger when you relocated them for longer springs? If nobody has any advise I'll just start drilling more holed until I like where the shackle is. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-UPDATE at the bottom /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Is anyone interested in some pictures of my setup??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Re: Spring hanger location with 63\'s

Dawg-awn it !
    I had my reply all typed out, nice and pretty like' - and the power goes out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Take 2, Ready.... Action...

The newer body style ('81 and ups), have the body mounts on the out-side of the frame rails, un-like my '73 which has that body mount in-board.
    With the newer body styles bodymount being located where they are, it's limiting the amount you can move the front spring hanger.
    But it might be just enough.
    If you pop the rivets out of the body mount and the front spring hanger bracket. Relocate the front spring hanger bracket to the 2, rear-ward body mount rivet-holes. Then lay the body mount over the spring hanger bracket and bolt the thing togather. Now, that the spring hanger is squarly located (due to the fact that your useing existing, factory rivet holes) you can drill out the remaing holes, useing the hanger bracket as a temp-plate.
    That ought to move your front spring eye forward about 3 inches, but you need at-least 4 inches.
    So... you might try useing ORD's zero rate addaleaf, I think they also move the axle about in inch forward as-well, if I remember correctly.

Before you do any of this work. Measure out the distances between the rear-ward rivets on the body-mount and compare that to the distance between the rivets on the spring hanger. Make sure it'll all line up as needed.

3. TruckNutzDude

Actually, I'm re-doing everything. I actually got my foreward mount under the body mount using 2 factory hole locations and the rear I also used 2 factory hole locations. My problem is that my shackle angle is terrible because I mounted the rear most hanger too far back and ended up with a 90* shackle which severely limits my down travel (up travel is very little since the springs lay flat with the weight of my rig) I saw one user's post a long time ago when I first got my membership and his foreward mount was next to the body mount, not under it. He only moved the mount 2"-3" foreward though and I'd like to know how that worked out. I also want to see how other's have done the swap since mine came out OK /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif but not great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

spring mount location w/63" rear springs
    Is that what you remember ?
    Thats on a '73 full-topper, the body mount locations are not in the same as they are on the '81 and ups.
    I used ORD's shackle flip kit for the rear to level out the spring eyes. Due to the fact that moveing the front hanger forward along the frame, also moved it down following the lil' bend in the frame that begins to go under the "cab". [ QUOTE ]
    I actually got my foreward mount under the body mount using 2 factory hole locations

[/ QUOTE ]
    Right on ! - So it worked out O.K. then ?
    I've never seen it done before, but it kinda seeemed to me that it would be the way to go.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Actually, I'm re-doing everything.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why ? Other than the rear shackle angle, is there something else wrong ?

5. TruckNutzDude

Actually there are a few things I don't like about my setup. One is that the front mount hangs down quite a bit below the frame and it interferes with the body mount bushings (I didn't have any installed when I did my suspension.) I'm also adding a lowering style shackle to the rear hanger to point the pinion up a little and give the springs more room to play. That will require me to move the rear hanger a few inches foreward and I might move it a few inches up while I'm at it. Thanks for the pic, it's quite blury but I like how you braced it on the bottom. Bracing is something my hangers are lacking. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

*UPDATE*

I moved the rear hangers. It's much better now with the correct angle and the extended shackle. I gained another 5" in droop!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Fron the top of the tire to the center of the wheel well was 10" at ride height, durring droop it's at 22" where before it was only 17". The shackle also sits a little less than 90* at full droop and about 30* back at ride height. Before the shackle was at 90* durring ride height and in line with the spring durring droop. I didn't move my front hanger but I will be adding bracing and some skid bars to keep it from being bashed off on rocks. I'll get pics this week if the rain stops. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

Here's the link where I saw some pictures of 63's in the rear. Scroll down about half way
    I also saw 84K5BD's rig and he had 63's out back, after seeing his rig with them I knew I had to have a set! Thanks for the inspiration and the tires Bob. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Cool deal ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Gotta git some pics up when you can.