Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SPRING help (56" and 52")

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Feb 28, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

SPRING help (56\" and 52\")

Alright, I picked up a set of 1ton chevy springs (56"). I am wondering if I can use only the main leaf and then use my leaves from my original blazer springs (52"). Anyway to tell which side is which on these 56". I don't want the thing to ride like a buckboard and I dont need any lift in the back (I already have the shackle flip). Any help is geatly appreciated.
    Juan

"chrome sucks"
    "you tried your best and failed miseralby...the lesson is never try" Homer Simpson
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: SPRING help (56\" and 52\")

The front side is the side with the shorter distance to the center pin (from the eye).
    You might be able to get away with swaping your shackle flip brackets form side to side (put the right one on the left...) but you will have a big shackle angle (around 60deg). Your better bet would be to move the flip bracket back around 4" (I would move it back till the front holes line up with the rear holes to keep from drilling too many holes in the frame).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

Hey Juan, those are 3/4 ton springs that I sold you.The front of the springs are shorter distance to the center bolts.I would and have remove two of the leafs,the bottom two leafs(not the overload!).Then flip the overload leaf over(better flex).Be sure to mount your rear shackle flip mount 2-4" rearward.This will give a great ride and no additional lift.Good luck! Mike

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Don't even use your 52s. Just take out all but 4 of the leafs from the 1 ton springs. Depending on exactly which 4 springs you keep, you can adjust the ride. This is exactly what I did on my K30 and now the back, with no bed, just floats easily on the springs with plenty of movement. For the flip, I would say move it back about 3" would give you a nice shackle angle (IMHO), 4" is going to have it almost vertical again. Or, you could get a modified Springer setup like Shaggy (?IIRC?) and get some great movement in your rear suspension. Marv has a really sweet setup.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Thanks to you all.
    Juan

"chrome sucks"
    "you tried your best and failed miseralby...the lesson is never try" Homer Simpson
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"