Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring loaded center punches?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quack_Addict, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I have been looking for a couple spring loaded center punches for work - I test vehicles monthly in which I am literally taped into the vehicle with no way out other than by breaking a window. I have a spring loaded center punch that loads as you use it... you push down on it and it loads the spring the further you push, but I am looking for a spring loaded punch that can be pre-loaded with a trigger so that I don't end up putting my hand through a broken pane of glass if I ever have to use the punch to get out in an emergency. Anybody know where I can get one of these???

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I've seen an emergency hammer in a JC whitney catalog or one like it that had a spring loaded punch on it for that purpose. Try searching the 'net for vehicle emergency equipment. The thing I'm thinking of was shaped like a hammer, had a seat belt cutter, flashlight and punch all built into it.

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

They make a pocket knife for police fire and rescue workers that has a manualy cocked punch at the other end of the handle. Don't remember whose it is.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

...and why are you being taped into a vehicle???

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Try Galls police supply. I've got em there. But if you want to know the truth a regular punch works better. You place the punch on the glass and just apply pressure. You do not have to jam it into the window. It is the pressure on a small point that shatters the glass. A spring loaded punch has much more chance of spreading glass into the car then a regular punch when applying pressure.

By the way I am ex-law-enforcement and that is how I know ;-)

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've worn out dozens - the best we've used in the field come from Sears actually, not a specialized rescue supplier. The Gall's variety are only $5, but the springs wear out really quick.

8. Parf

Parf Registered Member

There's this one made by S&amp;W <a target="_blank" href=http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?SW911>Here</a>. Blackie Collins also designed one for Meyerco a few years back.