Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring mods...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Jun 7, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I might want to take apart my Rancho springs and paint them with graphite paint and put some teflon pads between the leaves. Where can I get this stuff? How hard is it to take apart the springs? I heard the bolt in the center breaks a lot. I also want to take out the overload leaf out since i don't tow or carry loads. Anyone done this? Thanks!</font color=blue>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've taken spring packs apart before. First you'll need to open up the spring clamps. Some bolt on, others are just bent around the spring pack. Next place an 8-inch C-clamp on either side of the center bolt, using the C-clamps to hold the spring tension while you remove the nut from the center bolt.

Slowly loosen the C-clamps and the spring pack will literally take itself apart. If it's stuck, DON'T take the clamps off yet![​IMG] You don't want the spring tension to release suddenly. They can knock the bejeezus out of you.

Tighten the clamps back up and determine why the springs aren't releasing from the center bolt. Then try loosening the clamps again. Once you see the spring pack is coming apart you can go ahead and take it completely apart.

Now you can sand and paint the springs. I'm not sure where you can get the paint you mentioned. I've never heard of it before. The teflon pads are probably avialable from any place that builds springs. I've also seen stock Chevy trucks with teflon or nylon pads, so you might find them at a dealer parts counter. Installing them will require drilling holes in the springs to hold them in place.

To reinstall the springs, it's much easier to start with new center bolts. They come a few inches longer than you need them. This makes it easier to align all of the center holes before compressing the springs back together. Just use the C-clamps to slowly compress the springs back together, with the center bolt in place. Be sure you put the head of the bolt, that locates the axle, on the correct side of the spring pack.

Once the pack is compressed back together, install the nut on the center bolt. Make sure the springs are aligned correctly and put the clamps back around the spring pack. Leaving them just a bit on the loose side allows the springs to flex easier and further. Cut off the excess threads from the center bolt and you're ready to do the next spring pack. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <font color=blue>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</font color=blue>

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have the clamp style, but i took the bolts out for more flex. made a noticable difference. thanks for the info</font color=blue>