Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring Pad and Bolt Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

How should the fit on the spring pad be for the spring bolt? Tight should be good, but how loose is too much?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

On both the front and rear of my trail truck I had to torque down the U-bolts before the pins would seat. Factory spring plates and factory size pins. When I took it apart to do the axle swap I had to use an air chisel to get the axles off the springs, it was the same way when I took my DD's rear apart last year, even with the axle just dangling there I had to give it a few swift kicks before it came down onto the jack.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

have any of you ever cleaned out the pin holes from the rust and dirt buildup? just a idea.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, actually that was the first thing I thought of. In the rear the spring plates were new but had the same diameter hole as the factory ones, the pins were new too but again, were the same size as factory. There was no rust to speak of that would hang it up like that. I ended up drilling out the holes in the rear plates so they fit snug. I don't know what I want to do in the front yet, I'm gonna have to use a shim so I've gotta take it apart anyways, but I really don't want to be messing with the passenger side spring perch that's milled into the housing.