Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring pearch removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerboy72, Mar 2, 2003.

1. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

Is there an easy and cheap wya to do this. i have been cutting on the same spring perch on my 14 bolt for 7 hours and still havent got anything done. i have been using a dremel with the cut off disc and that doesnt seem to be working. there has to be an easier way to do this.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Grinder to take off most of the weld - then a BFH to bash it off. Then grind the axle tube smooth and slap on a coat of paint.

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

let me guess you got the solid perches? i would just use a torch or a plasma cutter and try to leave just a little metal on the axle tube to grind off so you dont accidently hit the axle tube with the torch and screw it up! havent done mine yet but that is probably what i will do to remove mine. hope this helps.

4. blazerboy72

A bfh dont work i have been trying that for a few hours. i dont know if they are solid or not. they have the indetions in the top of them if thats what you are talking about.

5. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I just did that last week, I used a torch. It took a while because the perches are solid cast iron, but it was easy to do, if you know how to use a torch. I only had to kiss the tubes with the grinder, the perches only transfer heat through the weld so they burned off pretty easy without gouging the tubes, metal has to get liquid before you can blast it with oxygen, just as long as you don't get the tube red hot you won't gouge. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used a 5" Makita with a zip cut disc. Took out as much weld as possible and beat on em with a BFH. A dremel is not enough tool for the job...

Rene

7. blazerboy72

i figured the dremel wasnt engough. i think i need a big hammer and something bigger to cut it off with