Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring perch mounting surface not flat - problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Feb 24, 2003.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I recently discovered that the spring perches that I had welded onto my 14-bolt are not flat across the mounting surface (where the spring meets the perch). There is a slight depression in the center of each perch (running the full length - front to back) where the spring does not touch the perch. Is this something that I should worry about?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I would say you'll be fine, but only under the following circumstances.
    Make sure the center-pin is in the hole, that's a must.
    And, it probably won't work if you're using aluminum lift-blocks or shims. (They'll break in half when you tighten down the u-bolts)
    Are the springs mounted on the perches right now with the u-bolts tightened down? If so, how much space is in between the spring and perch?

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I recently discovered that the spring perches that I had welded onto my 14-bolt are not flat across the mounting surface (where the spring meets the perch). There is a slight depression in the center of each perch (running the full length - front to back) where the spring does not touch the perch. Is this something that I should worry about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would worry if it was the opposite, that is when the springs start rocking on the axle and you can break the driveshaft Ujoints.