Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring Perch Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to mount the spring perches on my van-width 14 bolt, and have a couple questions...
    1) For location of the spring pads-can I measure the distance from where the axle tubes are pressed into the housing to the inside edge of the spring pad for placement? I have a regular-width 14b that I could take this measurement from....just making sure this is the correct method.
    2) I intend to use the ORD shackle flip, and possibly the 57" f*rd springs. Should I rotate the mounting pads so the pinion angle is a tad higher...say 2 degrees?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The center sections should be reliable enough that one wouldn't be drastically different from another.

For pinion angle I'd mark the tubes where the perches will go, roll the axle under the truckand lightly u-bolt the works together without the perches being welded. Then use your angle finder to set the angle with the truck weight on the diff and springs. You should be able to use a bottle jack under the pinion to fine tune the pinion angle. When it looks good tack the perches to the tubes, pull the diff back out and weld it up. Measure and triple check everything...especially axle centered to the truck.

Rene

3. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

for my 4 inch, my shackle flip gave me a perfect angle, and on the perches you will need them 42-1/2 inches apart center of perch to center of perch...and most 1 tons except vans come 40-1/2 apart, 3/4 14FF come 42-1/2 apart, wich is perfect. so, if you get one 40-1/2 you will need to move thwm outward 1 inch per side /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BUT....... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif since you have van rear, it will prolly be like 50-1/2 apart..( lotsa relocation)