Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring plate bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Dec 26, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i installed a 4 inch spring on top of my d60 and the two bolts on the passenger side spring plate thread into the housing about 1 inch. once i add my shim, i do not think that the bolts will be long enough. does anyone have a source for a longer bolt or the specs on the stock bolt so that i can search for replacements?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Local hardware store. Get grade 8 bolts however longer you need to get them seated.

FYI, I would not use a shim on a D60 with 4" lift. You will have problems with the 2 bolts not seating squarely to the u-bolt plates and when they are torqued down, they will "bend" to one side causing stress and later break or shear the bolt in half.
    If you still desire to run the shims, I would check out some custom machined u-bolt plates made by another member here who goes by "TONYP" as he has solved the problem with the breakage of the bolts/studs.

Do a search on the D60, shims, u-bolt plates and breakage and you will realize using stock plates and shims will not be quite the hot ticket to preventing problems down the road. If you need help, let me know and I will find the links and pictures to give you a general idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i am on-line with having my top spring plates milled to the same degree prior to adding a shim - i intend to do this. i saw tonyp's stuff on the echobit web page a while back ago. it looked good; but they are having issues with timely deliveries. i am going to look at a few different places - boyce may have something.

i wanted the bolt size so that i would not have to pull it out of the axel in the hardware store parking lot to spec it.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    but they are having issues with timely deliveries

[/ QUOTE ]

That problem you read/heard about is Mike (Borego) whom operates the Echobit site. You need to contact Tony Peebles directly via e-mail or PM on this site. I got my plates ordered and mailed all in about a weeks time. Go straight to the source and deal with Tony. He's an awesome guy to work with and does damn good work and also stands by his word. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The bolts for the D60 passenger side pumpkin are a 5/8" coarse thread. The length will be up to you for however long you need. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I 2nd TONYP went to him direct and got the stuff within a week or 2 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif