Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring plates

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Nov 12, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

what can i make spring plates out of? i am ready to put the eaton onder the rear end and the plates are for the bottom of the axle. i would reuse them but they are completely curved unlike the ones of my 12 bolt that are flat on the bottom. how thick should theses be? i already had the u bolts made. they are 3 3/8 for any one else that needs to know. and how far apart are the whole on the flange of a 14ff for disc brake brackets? (center to center

thanks

69k5

2. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I would go to a driveline or axle shop and buy new perches if thats what you are talking about. if its spring plates that your u-bolts go through I build mine out of 1/2" steel plate so I know it wont ever fail or bend.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Iif its spring plates that your u-bolts go through I build mine out of 1/2" steel plate so I know it wont ever fail or bend.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what it was. i have some 3/8 i was thinking about doubling. i wasnt sure about just one layer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I believe the Eaton and 14FF have the same axle tube dia. So you should be able to use stock spring plates from a 3/4 ton 14FF without any trouble.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe the Eaton and 14FF have the same axle tube dia. So you should be able to use stock spring plates from a 3/4 ton 14FF without any trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

True on all that info and one more good info for a future upgrade: 14FF rear disc brake brackets can also be used on the Eaton rearends, too. Yep, the Eaton will accept the rear disc kits exactly like the 14FF's do. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

great !! thats what i thought just wanted to make sure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

if you want to save the trouble I just bought some spring perches from shakerbuilt for $15 when some other places were asking $45 for the same thing.

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

1 more thing to the mix
    it is very rare but have seen the home mabe flate plates mess up the ubolts
    the stock 14 plates would be a better choice in my opion as they make that ridge - curves 4 a reason its called tourque absorbation
    just my $.02 worth
    Randy

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

LKJR

im getting spring plates for on top of the springs not the perches. ahakerbuilt id the guiy that hgas those disc conversions right.

Doc

I am looking for some stock ones. i wanted to just use the eaton ones but the whole thing is curved and no flat spots on either side. so i will probably just find some from a jy or someone here.

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

one of the converstions yea