Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rustyk5, May 22, 2005.

1. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

First let me state I can't legally go over a 33 inch tire and drive on the road!!

Question: Do aftermarket springs ride better than stock?

I'm looking at a Rough Country 2.5 inch lift, all springs.

Would I get the same ride quality rebuilding my stockers and using, for example, Off Road Designs Zero lift blocks to clear the additional tire?

Any imput would be great thanks in advance.

:mad: P.S. Keep an eye on your law makers or you'll end up like us!!!!! :mad:

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on the spring.

stiffer than stock.

zero rates only get you an inch... if you want 2.5" you'll have to do something else. zero rates don't change spring rate, and therefore will ride the same as whatever spring pack you attach them too.

j

3. rustyk5

I guess I should have asked my question differently.

Is there any advantage in ride quality with aftermarket springs compared to stockers?
    If my springs aren't broke and the haven't s-ed in the rear how long will they provide reliable service?
    Thanks

4. jekbrown

like I said before, depends on the spring. There are el-cheapo junk aftermarket springs that are stiff as hell, ride like crap and won't flex at all... and then there are really well-made springs (these tend to cost more $$$$) that will ride better than the stock springs will. In my experience, there is more room for improvement in front springs than in the rear. The spring rate in stock 52s is pretty low, they are relatively soft springs and ride pretty well.

If there isn't much in the way of damage to the main leaf (material ground off via binding, excessive rusting/pitting etc) then they should be fine. Might need some new bushings, but well-cared-for stock springs should last a looong time.

j

5. rustyk5

Thanks JEK!
    When you say big $$$ springs what are you refering to?
    I wouldn't mind spending the money if it will improve my ride.
    I'm not building a flex monster, just want to clear 33's and get to some out of the way fishing spots.

6. jekbrown

Alcan or Deaver. They make some bling stuff but they are $pendy. If you want relatively soft springs on the cheap, go with Tough Country (NOT to be mistaken with rough country!) or BDS. TCs are pretty soft... would prolly work great for what you want.

j

7. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I run 3" Tuff Country EZ-ride springs in the rear and 2" springs in the front with 33's.

Where in Hampden do you live? I live in Bangor, so if you want to see how mine rides or hit a few trails let me know. If the rain ever stops I might go out this Saturday.

As far as Maine laws go I think I'm going to take my chances and run 35's once my 33's ware out :grin: I know a lot of guys who get away with it.

8. rustyk5

Loafer
    I live off the Main Road in a sub-division just before the Cold Brook Rd, just a couple miles from the Civic center.
    Where are you in Bangor?
    I'd love to go wheeling and try my Blazer out. I just spent alot of time getting it back on the road and I'm not confident enough to go out alone. With my luck the tranny will fall out 50 miles from nowhere! :crazy: