Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring Question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by dmanblazer, Jan 6, 2007.

1. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

ok please clear something up for me when someone wants to do a spring lift, are the springs used longer than stock, if this is true wouldn't this make the truck ride very rough?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The spring rate (softness) comes into play also. Where are the engineering guys?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

basic idea of how springs work.

thickness is a big part of the rate and ride of the pack. the thicker the harder as thay are stiff.

# of leafs in a pack also plays a part in the ride. thick leafs and 3-4 leafs total probubly hard ride. same hight pack with 5-6-7 leafs of thinner steel better ride easyer to flex.

the arch of the springs will afect the ride. ( this is part of your question ) the taller the arch is the harder the spring has to work to flex. and the taller the arch is the longer the leafs need to be to keep the same distence from eye to eye but travel the length of the arch.

in short order the best 2 spring brands for gm solid axle in order:

#1 = bds
    #2 = truff country ( not rough country) comon misstake made.

do a search in the garage for best lift springs and you will get the best judgement on what you want for your needs.

4. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

That's understandable. But I guess what I'm asking is, does longer spring length = taller ride height? And is there any instance where you would have to move the spring hangers?

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Front springs on K5's are 47" long, if you put the factory rear springs(52") in the front, you gain 3-4" of lift. BUT, if you have 52's in the rear and put 56's in their place, you will not gain any lift.

Also, when putting in longer springs(i.e. 52" to 56") you need to move the rear hanger.

your question is kinna vague as the subject has many options and turnouts.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

nomatter the length arch is the lifting factor unless you make or buy drop hangers. so simple answer is no. but if you give us more info as to your plans we can help.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Maybe i can help shed some light on your question. Springs are measured from eye to eye measuring straight across the spring. The distance will be the same or very close to it as the original springs you take out. If you were to run a tape measure from one eye around the spring to the other eye then yes a lift spring will measure longer. Also the more arch you have the harder it will ride no matter what brand spring you have. This is why lots of people start with a shackle flip then add the difference they want in lift with springs.