Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Feb 13, 2002.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

2 spring questions

ok, I have a problem on my blazer, the guy that had it before me put 33" on there, with no lift. The problem is made worse by the fact that the front springs appear to me to be shot (translation, LOTS of rubbing, even when just driving down the street)

I bought a 2.5 inch add a leaf lift, but couldn't get it on. should the front springs arch up (like a smile?) mine aren't even straight across, but actually arch DOWN, so i couldn't get the add a leaf on.

if these springs are shot, would it be cheaper to just buy a lift with new springs, or could I get some out of a junkyard? if I can, do trucks and suburbans have the same front springs?

83 k5 originally diesel, now 350, 700-R4 12 bolt rear, 33x12.50 BFG Trails (yuck), desperately seeking a lift
    sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have a set of stock front springs if ur want them
    id sell em cheap
    email me at Confederate9@aol.com

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

3. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I've been spring shopping lately and you can pickup a set of TuffCountry EZ rides (2.5 or 4") for $190 plus shipping. The 2.5" lift would be easiest for you, wouldn't need a raised arm, but you'd need to lift the back.

Another option would be ORD's zero rate add-a-leaf kit. Get an inch of lift, may need longer u-bolts, but you could do front and back. They run about $30 a set, you'll need 2 sets if you want to do front and back.

Have fun,

John<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TwoCrows on 02/13/02 07:47 AM.</FONT></P>

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

why cant you get the add a leafs in? the springs shouldnt be inverted when you take the weight of the k5 off it.

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Are you using C-clamps to get the add a leafs in? I just put some in the back of my Sub in Jan. I used the C-clamps to get the springs to conform to each other.
    I wouldn't go with junk yard springs, they'll sag just as much as your current springs. Go on the wanted and parts for sale board and post springs wanted and look for springs. Somebody local has to have some old lift springs laying aroud. I have a set of 2.5" springs in my garage that you can come pic up if you weren't in Texas.
    Front springs from a K5 fit Subs and Pickups.
    Good luck.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Since no one answered this question yet,
    NO, the stock front spring does not arch up. (That's what lift springs do obviously :)
    They are flat when no weight is on em, but with weight on, they'll arch down.
    Yours could be worn out though. Fitting 33"s and no lift, usually will cause some rubbing.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What kind of wheels are you running? Not that different backspacing is going to cause problems, but there are a LOT of people running either 33x12.5's or 33x10.5's (myself included) that don't have problems with rubbing, at least on the street. My 10.5's don't rub off-road either.

www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

I'm running 33 12.50's on 10 inch rims, lots of rubbing, well, that's good to know that they are supposed to be like that.

83 k5 originally diesel, now 350, 700-R4 12 bolt rear, 33x12.50 BFG Trails (yuck), desperately seeking a lift
    sometimes nothing is a real cool hand