Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring Rate & Mud

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wes88k5, Apr 17, 2000.

1. wes88k5

wes88k5 Registered Member

I'm going to get a 4" lift sometime soon hopefully. I was just wondering if it would be better to have a higher or lower spring rate on my blazer which would be used mostly for mud. I'm thinking that I probably won't need very much articulation. I also plan to run 35" tires. Mostly I am considering Tuff Country (low spring rate) or Superlift (high spring rate). Please let me know what you think.

2. lew

lew Registered Member

I believe that for muddin, a hard spring rate would not hurt anything but your back.

I do mostly rock trails and want as much articulation as possible.
    One thing you may want to think about is stress.
    I would assume that a stiffer rate will cause more stress on your mounts and basically all suspension and drive train components.
    Think of it as a basketball if you will. A hard one will bounce back and not absorb any inpact, a soft one will not bounce back, but will absorb the impact. Therefore with the softer springs and perhaps a ajustable shock set up you can have the best of both worlds.

Have fun.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The only way I would ever consider getting the higher spring rate is if the only thing the truck saw was straight line smooth mud drags. If you do any type of riding on trails, even if they are mostly mud, I think you would still want good articulation as most mud holes don't seem to be very flat. The overall ride on the street and off-road will be much better with the softer springs.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I agree, go with the Superlift.
    You most likly will be driving to the mud , right?
    So I would consider the road trip to the mud as well as the mud itself. The Rancho RS9000 shocks are a good way to 'stiffin/lossen' your ride if you feel the need too!
    I am running 51/2" Superlift rear springs and they do a great job, no wrapping or hop at all! that I can tell anyway. Most of my road trips are 3hrs+ and the ride quality is way better than the stock/block lift I use to have!! Lifetime warrenty too!!
    Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]