Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring Rates?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, Mar 18, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

How much does the advertised spring rate really affect the ride of a truck? I currently have 4" pro comp lift springs on the front of my blazer rated at 520 lbs/in. The tuff country "Ez Ride" 4" springs are rated at 295 lbs/in. I am looking for a softer ride, right now I am runing a single shock at each wheel also. Will switching to these springs make a big enough deal to justify buying them?

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yes it will. It will make it ride like a caddy compared to yours.

3. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Ive got the Tuff Country EZ's on mine. My ride is one of the best things about my truck. It does ride very well. I say ditch the stiff ones....

4. René

René 1/2 ton status

For a 4” kit, 295 lbs/in is not enough. The spring travel is too short and the axle often goes in the bumpstop. But the Tuff Country HD seems quite good to me.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Spring rate is probably the biggest factor in ride quality, assuming the other parts are not frozen up or something. The softer the spring the easier it will be to deflect so it will help isolate the sprung mass (you) from what happens to the spring mass (tires and axles). Too soft is a little relative, a good example is stock wagonneer I drove for a bit. It had really soft springs and rode GREAT as long as the bumps were little. You could drive over smaller potholes and washboard roads fast with no problems but if you hit something big it bottomed out and hurt. Stiffer springs would have helped prevent the bottom out but given a rougher ride on smaller stuff.
    The way to get away with great ride on all terrain is to use a lot of wheel travel. The more bump travel you have the bigger stuff you can hit with soft springs and not bottom out. That's why a custom long travel leaf or other suspension works so well, you can deflect a long ways real quick to soak up bumps.
    To get away from the theory and answer your question, the TCI EZrides should ride a good bit better than the stiffer springs. The TCI HD's will be a step stiffer but I've been around a couple trucks with them that rode pretty well even without the extra weight to hold them down.