Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring shims broke again, what should i do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Sep 4, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

spring shims broke again, should i install some new aluminum ones that i got for free again and see what happens, or should i go and find some differnt ones, and if so where should i get them, id like to find them cheap /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> They're probably breaking because your perches are messed up, they likely have some arch to them so the sluminum shims are flexing when you tighten down the u-bolts. Personally, I'd replace the perches on the axle, but if it's the front axle you can't really do that on the passenger side. Get some quality stell shims and you won't have the problem either, probably. Aluminum will break again, gauranteed. Especially if you've already been through two sets. Why would the 3rd set not break? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dude, just throw those damn things out. You don't need them in the back. You saw how funny my pinion angle is and no vibes!! Our trucks are the same...you'll notice any vibes if you lose the shim.

Up front the shaft is shorter so they might be required, but not in the rear.

4. 87sm465np208

where would one get nice steel shims? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. 87sm465np208

alright Tim, i might try it with no shims.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The place that has the big purty ad at the top of the page has them I think. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Az-Kickin' Off-Road. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

7. 87sm465np208

yea my spring perches are messed up, id really like to just go out and get some 6 lug 3.73's that would be nice, a nice front and rear. but i think im gunna try it without spring shims today, and see what happens.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif