Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring shims broke, how to install new ones?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Aug 20, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep, both sides in teh rear of my 87 4x4 broke on my 4" lift kit, now how hard are they to replace? and what is to it? thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you mean the shims that go between the springs and spring plates? thats a pretty straightforward easy job, loosen the ubolt nuts about an inch more than the shim is thick, jack the truck up by the frame to let the axle hang..pop old ones out, new ones in..

3. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

make sure you get the pins back in the holes also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

and so it doesnt happen again, Torque down your u bolts after a couple days of driving.

5. 87sm465np208

well i went ahead and called R\C, they say you gotta clamp the springs, take the pin out, and then install the new shim and reinstall the shim, meh, i guess it will take a while to do, but at least it will get done. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 87sm465np208

well it wont get done now since my stupid parents cut up the wood i used to make jack stands bases for when i wanted to lift up my truck and suport it by the frame, so now im pissed, and cant get my shims in, so im ****ed. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's only like a 20 minute job, well, if your able to jack your truck up... Drop the u-bolts and axle out of the way, clamp the spring, take the pin out and put new shims and a NEW pin in and put it all back together...

8. 87sm465np208

well that is certinly a plus, yea i cooled down over the jacking up issue, i guess me and the dad and mom will help me figure out a way to jack it up, but yea ill let ya'll know how it turns out. thanks for all the replys, and this will be my first Shim change out in my life. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

There are steel shims available which bolt to the spring pack rather than pinch fit between the perch and the pack. The slide in ones often leave very little of the centering pin to mount into the spring perch. Unless they are made of a high grade aluminum, they will most likely break (or squish) again.

10. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    There are steel shims available which bolt to the spring pack rather than pinch fit between the perch and the pack. The slide in ones often leave very little of the centering pin to mount into the spring perch. Unless they are made of a high grade aluminum, they will most likely break (or squish) again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I get some like this? I'm thinking my shims are getting fairly mangled. They are just sitting between the springs and the perches. I'd be interested in something a little more robust. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got mine from azkicken off road.they did a real good job and also gave me a new centerpin.it is 60 dollars plus shipping.but then with the solid steel you wont have to worry about breaking them.

13. 87sm465np208

well thanks for the replys guys, i acctually got them in, i used two huge pecies of trees, like 1 1\2 foot tall, flat on both sides, then some jack stands ontop of that, worked great, then clamped them with some home\store bought built clamps, just to tell you what i found out, the one shim broke in 3 peices, that was on teh drivers side, the passenger side shim broke in 5 peices, that was hardcore. but shims in, truck moves, just a update /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif