Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring spacers on 2wd 1981 Blazer , front coils

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ccox7, Nov 27, 2002.

1. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

Has anyone ever added coil spacer to front coils to get 3 to 4 inchs of lift. I am looking at AIM industries, they have coils that are 3 inches overstock.What would be the best way to go to lift the front. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i am by far not the most knowledgeable here, but myself as well as a few others around here have looked into and even done this.. depending on the year.. 88 and later are easier but for anything prior to that it is rather difficult and expensive to lift.. yes you can add coil spacers... but it will make it difficult to get your alignment correct. on good way to lift on would be longer arms, some spindles.. and probably lift coils..... i had planned on about 5" lift.. was going to use some spindles, but as of right now i have not find anyone who still makes them.. and the fabtech lifts are rather expensive for only 4" lift... more than half of what i paid for my truck.. michael parker.. a member here had a lift on his truck.. i believe coil spacer (could be wrong)... but choose to take it off. and can still fit 35" meats under his blazer with 'glass fenders front and rear.. which is probably what i will end up doing eventually... sorry i got long winded, hope i helped some.. and feel free to check out my site.. a link to Mr. Parkers is on mine as well..

jon

3. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Remember, I body lift works well for these trucks too.
    Both AIM ($700) an dFabtech ($1500) long travel kits work pretty well...
    One thing... I just got my A Arms from AIM and they charged $158 for shipping, but the actual cost of shipping was $48..... wonder where the other $90 went?!? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I have put the spacers on my truck as mentioned. A 1" spacer will give you around 3" of lift. If you relocate your top balljoint to the bottom of the a-arm and space it down also, you can semi manage a decent ride and alignment. The biggest problem with this year truck is when you eliminate the down or droop travel.....when your're driving along and the tire drops into a hole, there is little or no droop and the truck behaves badly. I originally cut my spacers in half and that helped some, but I eventually removed them completely and the resulting ride is much better. Longer A-arms are the best setup...not only can you get some lift, but increased travel. They are expensive though. The cheapest way to get clearance for big tires is the previously mentioned body lift. Even cheaper still is to hack away at your fenders, but I dislike the look. The most expensive way, short of suspension lift, is to use prerunner style fiberglass. I run 35" tires with no lift on my '74 2WD. I've been told that if you run 8" rims, 35's will clear in the rear with no 'glass....I have 10" wide rims so I can't attest to that.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

this is sure interesting, hmmm.,. anyone know where info/pics of such coil spacers can be seen ? who carries such spacers ? expensive ?

thanks

6. prerunner1982

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

nice, I like! i need to get pair of them there thingies!

thanks!

8. littlebubba

littlebubba 1/2 ton status

Why not find a 4X4 frame, and sell me your 2X4 frame? Don't ruin a 2WD frame. 4X4 frames are around all day, 2WD's are harder to find.

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Those AIM spacer won't work correctly on a '73-'87 Chevy. You have to get the style that go underneath the coil. I got mine from these guys:
    Moore Tool and Supply.
    PO Box 2011 Emporia Ks. 66801 316-342-3980.

They are cast aluminum and have a unique configuration. The bottom of a Chevy coil isn't flat, the spacer is made to fit just right. Don't try the rubber ones from Autozone etc. either you'll be mad like I was! This is a shot of the balljoint spacer....I had some made, but it cost me the same as these.
    Spacers

This is another lower cost option:

http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=17373

10. prerunner1982

what effects would the upper arm and spring have on the whole alignment problem?

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how much does moore sell em for and are they online ??

thanks

12. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Any time you change the ride hieght on a vehicle it changes the front alignment characteristics. With the spacer or a longer spring you are spreading the upper and lower a-arms apart. They are designed they way they are to provide a proper camber change throughout the travel. There is a limited amount of camber adjustablility in the stock system (with shims of various thicknesses). When the front is lifted in this manner the top arm gets "shorter" (in it's arc of travel) so now the top of the tire is leaning in. This is somewhat correctable if the top balljoint is moved to the underside of the a-arm with a spacer or with the use of a redesigned top arm.
    Disclaimer....I'm no expert on all of this...this is from my reasearch and personal experience. Here is one more option I recently ran across for lifting "our" year trucks....sounds pretty cool and you retain stock alignment specs. This is quoted from another site:

<font color="purple">i have a 77 chevy with a 3" spindle lift. what we did was buy the 1996 chevy 3" spindle and brakes. the lower ball joint for the 96' is alot bigger so we welded a 1/4" plate under the arm and drilled it out to press in the 96' ball joint. then the top ball joint is the same for all chevy trucks. and the tie rod hole in the spindle is small enough to drill and tapper the hole the opisite direction for the 77' steering setup. hope that helped. </font color>

The spacer I used ran about $30 for the pair. No website for Moore Tools that I know of.

13. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

Well , thats a lot of ideas i can put to use.Since I posted this question i have yet another idea.My buddy down the street from me is getting ready to part out his 79 Suburban C 20 .I am thinking of putting the Dana 60 8 lug axle under my 2wd Blazer and also the front A-arms Springs Spindles , everything.It will give me approx. 3 inches of lift or more depending what size tires i decide to run on the 16.5 " rims.Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for all the replies, good info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. prerunner1982

i have heard of people using 1ton coils on stock suspension...

15. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

That was the first thing that was done back in the very early days of offroad racing.....putting the heaviest duty stock parts you could find on. It really depends on what you're after......seems like really heavy parts to put on a 1/2 ton Blazer.....with a resulting harsh ride etc. but that may be what you want. If ya just want to run bigger tires I would go with some prerunner fenders for around $300 and leave the suspension alone......unless you plan to abuse it offroad. The spacers are a really cheap way to go and it wouldn't ride any worse than C20 parts. I have a set of 3" lift 1/2 ton springs that I would ship to ya for $50. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

5-30 series 2wd front suspension are same design parts and the load capacity of front coils doesnt vary as much as you would think they would, check out the specs sheets info on these trucks of a particular year 73-up and see for yourself, all there is for each series are std adn HD front coils, thats it, in the 67-72 years there was only 100lbs each side difference from std to HD

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah I tried to find a stiffer spring for my front and I was told the same thing.

18. littlebubba

littlebubba 1/2 ton status

TRUCKIN' magazine has all kinds of ads for the spacers your looking for, not too expensive either.

19. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

Thanks , I will look into all these ideas and come up with something.I dont think at this time I will be converting to 4 wd but the 8 lug axles is a possibilty. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

Well after second thoughts I am going with 4 inch blocks in rear and 3 inch lift coils in front.I am wondering what kind of clearence I will have for tires.....maybe some 35,s or ? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

Michael,
    Anyway I can get some more info on this A-arm mod?
    Thanks!
    Doc