Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spring swap assistance needed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by otisringle, Aug 8, 2006.

1. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

well im praparing for swapping out my old sagging springs for some hopfully non sagging old springs. I got the old bushings out and am about to put in the new ones and then buy some of that spring liner stuff.

My question is about putting on the springs. Never done anything like this so how do I do it? Are there any tricks to doing it or do I just take the bolts off, put the springs on then bolt it right up? Do I need to buy new U-bolts or any other hardware. And is there a front and a back to the springs or does it matter which end goes forward or vise-versa. Any help will be appreciated because of right now it seems like its gonna be a daunting task...

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It's not that big of a task.

The hardest part is getting the old bolts out of the springs and shackles (you'll probably need new bolts when all is said and done).

Short end of the spring goes forward. Put the front bolt in first, then the rear spring bolt, then the shackle bolt last.

Don't tighten any of the bushing bolts until you have the weight on the springs. That neutralizes the bushings so they don't bind.

If the u-bolts are in good shape, you can re-use them. If they're rusty and banged up, replace them. Shouldn't cost more than $25 for four bolts and all the washers and nuts.

3. otisringle

Where would be a good place to get new u-bolts. The springs im putting on looks as though they have a zero rate on them, but they guy said they were straight off his stock truck, but ive seen pics of stock springs and they dont have the extra metal peice on them... it looks like the ORD add a leaf. Would I be able to get longer u-bolts at NAPA or places like that?

4. otisringle

got anymore input?

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

find a spring shop and get u bolts made the universal ones you get at an auto parts store are not so good. They will probably have what you need already made up. I don't know about Cali but around here its about 10 bucks per u bolt with nuts

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Yep, get new u-bolts. The old ones stretch when you torque them so you don't want to reuse them. Put some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil on all the bolts a couple days before disassembly. Don't forget to chock the wheels ... don't ask how I know. Tighten the u-bolts to 125 ft/lbs in increments so they all show the same amount of threads above the nut. Spring/shackle and spring/hanger nuts get tightened to 90 ft/lbs, and I'd use some loctite or pinch nuts on those since it's a pivot point. If you're using poly bushings I think ORD recommends 45 ft/lbs, but double check with them. If you can't find a spring shop in your area, you can always get them from ORD. The diameter you need would obviously be the same as your old u-bolts. For the length just measure the old spring and the new spring and add the difference to your old u-bolt ... if that makes any sense. And don't forget to retorque all the bolts after you drive for about 100 miles.