Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spring vs. block question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, Apr 27, 2005.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I have a totally stock 87 k5 that I want to put a 2 or 4 inch lift on and my question is - Is it fair to say that the stock springs have sagged a bit? And if they had then the stance would be a little funny (lower in the rear) if I replaced the front springs and just put blocks in the back right? Because the 2 inch lift would actually be more than two inches in the front if the springs were sagged to begin with. Just want to see what you guys think.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

most have.

[/quote] And if they had then the stance would be a little funny (lower in the rear) if I replaced the front springs and just put blocks in the back right?[/quote]

every rig is different. If you put 4" springs up front, and 4" blocks in the back and your springs are saggy... the front will sit higher than the back. Some CK5'ers offset this by adding a 1" zero rate in the back to level things out.

j

3. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

What lift and tires were you runnin in those first few photos of your Jimmy? I am looking for ideas.

4. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

when u buy a 4" lift or 6" for that matter the rear blocks are always an inch shorter. i know this cauze i customize vehicles for a living and when you order a 4" kit its 4" front springs and 3" rear block . makes vehicle level. when they are desning these things they use NEW vehicles so thats lift from new vehicle height. a 6" kit is 6 front 5 rear. u'll prolly end up with a saggy bum if u use blocks. use an add leaf kit and blocks if u want cheap that will make it level. or buy new spring.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I ended up going with 6 inch up front and 8 inch springs out back in my 71. Sit's nice and level with my hardtop on or off and loaded with trail gear, but empty with no top it has a forward rake to it.