Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Springer/AK57 style front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 3, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thinking about this lately, what about a dropaway setup for front leaf spring?
    [​IMG]
    Simple thought but I'm sure you guys know how this setup works. Yellow is a bumpstop, and the black spot is a lock hole. Problem I can think is pinion angle when it down travels. I'm thinking about dropping the front spring hangers 3".

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Technically, assuming I understand the final decision (it waffled a bit) posts in this forum should be strictly fab project related. So, till I get clarification, I’ll assume this is “I’m thinking of building this, do you think it will work?”

This is generally considered a droop gimmick and is not a recommended system for anything other than a ramp champ. Pretty much the same thing as a 3/4 elliptical (aka buggy spring) front, but with more negative qualities resulting from uncontrolled droop. Also, those who run this in the front talk about problems when climbing due to the front unloading (feels like it’s throwing you over backwards) and the axle trying to “walk out” from under the front.

And your right, it will rotate your axle dramatically as it drop out.

My opinion is fix the shackle angle and get a spring with the correct rate, this is not the way to go.

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree on the uncontrolled droop. There used to be a shackle called the "Revolver" that was a scissor shackle that collapsed at rest and extended in droop. It worked alright for the rear but then they started making them for the front. Can you imagine the front end of your truck bouncing up and down 10" or so inches on a steep climb?!?! It would work good for droop but what is the point of a tire hanging way down if there is no vehicle weight on it to plant any power?

What I did in the case of my truck was this: I could only achieve relatively 8-10" of compression before the tire hit the top of the fender. I knew this before starting on the front suspension and decided to focus on droop. What I did was talk to the folks at BDS and told them what I was doing, vehicle, weight, solid axle swap info, etc and came up with something. I was told to take there 8" lift spring for a k5 blazer with 350, remove 2 leafs from it (they told me which two) and install it and they said it would sag to 4-5" of lift. Well, I did all this and it is now at 4.25" of lift in the front, perfect. And since the spring started as an 8" it has a ton of free arch in it and the leaves are quite longer than lower lift springs, thus I have a ton of droop. My limiting factor right now, or at least until I tube the front end, is the back end since it has 1 ton springs in it.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Second time I'm hearing longer front springs(taller lift with smaller lift springs), I think it was BadDog that mentioned his main leaf was an 8" BDS pack. I was thinking that uncontrolable droop would cause a problem and now that I think it is just like a revolver front. Thanks guys and yeah I forgot to mention it was thinking of fabbing this what do you think.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hah, that's too cool! Did you talk to Rene? When did this conversation take place? When I was talking to them (started over a year ago) that was one of the topics discussed by me, Rene, and one of their fab experts who does their prototypes and testing stuff. One of our early conversations was about how some of the guys out here were running 6 and 8” lifts with leafs removed to get a longer spring due to dearching the pack. We talked about what different combinations of spring leafs would do, and how elimination of various leafs would effect lift, travel, and longevity. My pack that I run now was the result of those conversations. Sounds like they are now officially passing the word. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This may have been farther back than that, it was around March of 2002. But I cannot recall who it was I spoke to... We did talk for quite a while on the subject, my origional call was to see what spring would work since my truck weighs like double what the blazer springs were rated at and I only wanted 4" of lift, but a 4" spring would have been like 2" with my truck on them.

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Here it is....
    [​IMG]
    Look closely and you can see a buggy spring at the shackle. Also notice how far forward the axle has moved in the wheel well.... On climbs, the front axle can try to walk out from under the truck.

Just like BadDog said... in the front - it's more trouble than it's worth... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Too much travel in the front can be a bad thing. Go for sick travel in the rear.

Marv

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am seriouslly considering coil rear. I just need to find a daily driver/tow vehicle.

9. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

You mean something like this in the rear???

[​IMG]

By the way it's not maxed out yet.

David