Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Springer" Shackles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, May 8, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

\"Springer\" Shackles

Has anyone every heard of "Springer shackles" or know of anyone who uses them. Was considering getting these but would like some input (pros and cons).

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.users.qwest.net/~ruthspear/index.html>http://www.users.qwest.net/~ruthspear/index.html</A>

[​IMG]

2. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Re: \"Springer\" Shackles

I e-mialed the guy a couple of months ago for prices and more info and never heard back from him.
    Guess he dosn't want to make any money.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You know, that looks really simple to make and it would be a nice solution for those who want to go to longer springs. You get a shackle flip without messing with the hanger, plus longer/flexier springs, plus the droop of a "goofy leaf" without having to expend energy to bend the short spring down. Other than maybe a cradle to hold that thing in position (for lateral stability) when it is locked up against the frame, looks like a nice idea.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I hadn't even thought about the lateral movement, thanks. I was also thinking that a pin to lock it in place so it doesn't flex on the road might be nice too, just a simple pull of the pin would give a lot of flex.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I saw that sort of deal on a Ramcharger in 4 Wheeler last year.For the arm the guy used the main leaf from leaf a spring pack (the one with the eyes on both ends),cut the ends off,then welded the 2 ends together.What he ended up with was an arm that looks about 12" long with eyes in both ends.Its pretty much like yours other than the arm and he didnt have a way to lock it down when he didnt want it to work.Im gonna do this to mine when I get the time.Its a great idea and its cheap.

Proving once again that man CAN live on beer alone

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

That does look nice. A cheap effective way to add flex without too much modification, but what about streetability? Now you have a double rear joint. Isn't that thing gonna slap the frame every time you hit a pothole or does it have a locking mechanism for street driving?

7. FRIZZLEFRY

Another thing the guy did on the one I saw was that he moved the shackle hangers foreward on the frame 8 to 10" so he could use his stock legnth springs.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey I've talked to Marvin quite a bit and even phoned him on this shackle setup. Eventually I plan to make something similar. Is he selling it as a kit now? He's a really good guy it seemed and gave me a lot of pointers. He uses 56? " Ford F150 springs. I have a set here at the house, was going to do the swap and then decided against it for now. I imagine the foldability of the shackles is much like revolvers which tend to never extend on the street unless all the weight is out from under that tire. That's hardly never unless you're jumping railroad tracks or climbing guardrails. (This is just what I've heard about rotating type shackles). Good luck to ya and keep trying Marvin, he's a stand up guy it seems like.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    The road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, if you add the cradle, it would be trivial to also add a pin to lock it into place when in the cradle. Then, it would be no different than the stock long spring setups with a shackle flip. Definitely beats moving the rear hanger back to put the long springs on.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses

I talk to the guy on a regular occasion and I've actually gon 4wheeling with the guy, the truck is awesome for flex and Marvin is Awesome also..he gets about 20-24 inches of flex. He's comeing down to El Paso (hes from here) and im gonna go 4 wheeling w/ him again and I'll take pictires-- he just sent an e-mail to me about a flip for an ORD conversion and I'm probably gonna use it so I'll give some info about that. I've got his home and business phone number and E-mail address if you would like some more information. And when I go wheeling w/ him I'll send a post.

Not all Rednecks drive ugly trucks---umm, nevermind <A target="_blank" HREF=http://jimjim.coloradok5.com>http://jimjim.coloradok5.com</A>

11. FRIZZLEFRY

I found the one I saw,its in the Feb. 2000 issue of 4W&OR pg. 70&72 and they got a good shot of it.

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i thought the goofy leaf idea had finally gone out of style, guess not. that looks like a zero gain mod to me, except in this ap it allows longer springs but if you have to drill the frame for the overload bumpstop you may as well be drilling 1 more hole and relocating the rear perch ( that assumes a ford style bumpstop that uses 3 holes)