Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Springer style rear, any cons?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by sled_dog, Dec 5, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am going to get moving on my 63" rear spring project soon(dad is getting antsy for his garage back). Am deciding how to make it all. I can't decide if I should just use a shackle hard mounted to the frame and just rely on a good shackle angle with that and the 63s for droop or if I should design sometype of drop away shackle into the mix. Are there any cons I should be aware of and maybe help me decide?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I haven't seen any real cons to the Springer rear. I am not an expert on the subject though. I have seen him wheel several times and never seen a problem with it on his truck or Rob's truck. I don't know if there would be any difference to cause issues between the 57" and 63" though.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure Marv worked with someone on CK5 to design a one-off 63" Springer setup. You might just PM him for the details.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I will probably drop marv a line and see what he thinks my plan is to move the spring under the frame and make a new front mount then fab the rear mount under the rail as well.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

No need for a drop shackle with 63s, especially if you inboard them. If anything, I think the drop shackle on 63s would have nothing but negative impact. My friend Matt with the orange Ford has 63s in boarded and gets all the flex anyone could possibly want.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Removing the solid mount at the rear of the spring does have some adverse effects to the torque reaction of the spring. I've seen pics of some 3/4 elliptic toyotas with the rear axle walked all the way under the T-case and we've induced axle wrap in vehicles that should never have axle wrap by adding a drop arm. Most vehicles that make double shackles, 3/4 elliptics, revolvers, etc look good are linked up to control the axle and the springs just suspend the weight.

I would think that mounting the 63's on the stock centerline would work well and moving them in would work even better. Keep the top of the vehicle light, you're taking away your roll control when you move them in so keep it in mind.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No top on the back of the K5, narrowing rear, so theres some weight loss. I decided to not do the drop away shackle just for the difficulty aspect. My dad is hounding me to get the K5 out of the garage and I know I can fab up a new suspension setup quite quickly but the drop away would take a while.

8. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Alan, AK-57/Springer will eventually also be AK-63 but it will be a while. We want to have a system that works with the 63s as well as it works with the 57s. Keep in mind that when you by a system and not just a piece of a system you will also get help with the related problems. We will have this ready and proven by spring and we are hopefull it will be a bolt on system.