Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Springer Suspension.... (ITS ORANGE----->)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

I just saw Springers Suspension this weekend. saw it on 4 trucks, robzilla just got it installed.
    i tell ya folks. AWSOME!! i will have a few puctures of what it can do in a day or 2. i took 150 pictures this weekend. i just need to edit them and clean them up a bit before i can post them
    Grant

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Isn't it though, which guys have you seen w/it--i know marv has it (duh,)the guy w/ the red and white truck (can't remember his name), robzilla (congrats/forums/images/icons/cool.gif) and who else?? baddog?? i have my setup on my truck and havn't been able to test it, but soon, very soon!! Then--my next trip is to the wonderful world of PHX to bang my truck up on your pretty sharp rocks you got there./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

i dont know all thier names.
    one was a copper collored step side. that truck has A LOT of frame twist. another was the red/white truck then rob had it. and marv. soon to be me.
    Grant

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, I've got a modified setup on my K30. Problem is, I can't figure out how to flex it enough to work out the shock mounts! Even with only a 4" lift I max out my 60" hi-lift on the frame before either rear tire is even starting to move. I think I may just build a mini ramp or something. All I can say is that the Springer setup is an amazing AMAZING return on investment for guys with 52" springs. You get longer, softer springs along with phenomenal flex and axle travel in a kit that is practically bolt on. Only the track bar mount needs welding. And, even the 56" guys can run it if the move the hanger like I did (also gives you even more options!). Of course, to use the new travel/flex, you'll need to do the shock upgrade too but, with MOO and others making the cross member, that's now a bolt in too.

Short of high twitch custom multi-link coil/coil-over setups, I don't believe anything else can come close for your rear suspension. Maybe we should start a "Springer Fan Club"? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

MOO cost too much.
    get in touch with 55willy and he can make one for 75 dollars. bolt in or weld on. i am getting one as soon as he fugures out Shipping cost.
    HINT HINT JEREMY!!! j/k

6. SCOOBYDANNN

Oh, OK, the last time I was there the stepside didn't have it, yea he does have a lot of frame twist---i think the stepsides do that a lot cause mine had just as much.

7. SCOOBYDANNN

I guess you can say mine is a LITTLE modifired too---I have the springer setup w/ the ORD flip---I havent been able to really test it out so we dont even know if it works like it is supposed to. but in a couple of weeks we will know when I got to Las Cruses where they have the chili challenge and champ. rock crawling. To test out the flex, well i had to use a forkllift. i could almost stand underneith the tire at full flex!!! so im not really concerned about lifting a tire in the real world.

8. BadDog

I just mentioned MOO because they were the only ones that come to mind. He does a quality piece but, it's a bit high for me too. Not to mention, I want something different so I gotta build my own anyway to capitalize on my suspension.

BTW, when I say mine is modified, I only mean that the mounting points on the frame are not at all like the normal locations and I'm using a different spring pack and shackle. This is only to support future plans and to deal with having the 56" setup to start with. IMHO, there is nothing wrong with the bolt in Springer setup.

9. SCOOBYDANNN

Definately nothing wrong w/ the origional setup-it's just i had my ORD and then met marv. He had built the setup for someone else but backed out. so I took it.

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Guys,
    Thanks for all the positive comments...

Seventy4Blazer, ... it was good to finally meet you. We had an awesome time.

ScoobyDann and Baddog,
    We noticed an interesting thing this weekend that I had not seen before. The Bronze colored "stepside" (Mike Arnold's rig) displayed so much frame twist that the "Springer" drop bracket on one side was binding... !! In other words... the frame was twisting so much that the front spring mount and the rear shackle mount would get misaligned (angular) -- and the result was that the drop bracket was having diffuculty dropping... especially on one side!

Anyway, to solve this - the whole frame really needs to be stiffened up,... or I might try to make Mike some "swiveling" shackles of some sort to alleviate the twist. You guys with pick ups might see this to a small extent.... but I know that Danny's gonna install a flatbed, and Russ has that 1 ton frame which is prolly a little stouter than the 1/2 ton.

It's interesting to note that the "fleetside" bed (on DJ's red/white pickup) doesn't twist as much as the "stepside"....

Marv

11. Seventy4Blazer

Hey all. i got about 135 pictures on a CD. i will be selling the CD for 1.75. all i have to do is make a nice label for it.
    PM me for mored details
    Grant

12. crewcab

crewcab 1/2 ton status

13. BadDog

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showprofile.php?Cat=&amp;User=marv_springer&amp;Number=344433&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;what=showflat&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=7&amp;fpart=1&amp;vc=1>Marvin Springer</a> makes and sells them. Send him a PM.

14. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Grant Welcome to the <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange> brigade! Membership has it's privelidges.