Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Springs for towing??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCJimmy, Jul 7, 2003.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Currently running 35" tires on a 4" RC spring lift all around.

Buying a camper trailer (2,800+lbs), so I am planning on going down to 33's and a 2" - 3" suspension.

I was looking at the Tuff Country add-a-leafs on my stock springs for better ride and stability.

How do the add-a-leafs compare with a full TC spring lift in the 2 1/2" range, in terms of ride quality and handling?

Truck had saggy butt with stockers, but I figured I could add some zero rates later to level it out.

RC springs too harsh for long trip with towed load.

Also planning on a re-gear and tranny/transfer case beef-up/ rebuild.

Info greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Byron

2. midnight473

midnight473 Registered Member

I am in the middle of a move 8.5 hours South and am pulling a 24' enclosed trailer that I have a habit of loading over capacity. When I was running stock, it sagged pretty bad and balancing the load stopped the sag, but the ride was still pretty bad. I added some Hellwig helper springs and couldn't be more impressed with the results. Well I am sure I could, but for the money the helpers are all I could afford at the time and I feel they were money well spent.

-Jeff

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For the weight your pulling the springs you have should be fine. If you got the gears for the 35's I'd stick with them as well if you can get the trailer level. I regularly pull that weight with my 75 that has 5 inches of front and 6 rear on 35's. My rear is a home brew shackle flip. I had it WAY to soft for towing. I added a couple leafes to the pack to stiffen it up and that made all the difference in the world. Your rear springs are proabably a higher spring rate then what I have.

Where I would start to worry is when you start getting close to 4k then I would start getting worried about the lift.

4. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys...

My biggest issue is the Rough Country ride. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm trying to come up with a solution for an almost stock ride running 33's and towing trailer.

10 bolts /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif running 3.70's and Govbomb currently.
    Was gonna go with 4.88's/Detroit rear, QuickLoc in the front with the 35's, but I think 4.10's with the 33's would work better for DD and towing. Gotta take it easy on that 700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm thinking about dropping the stock springs back in with new poly bushings, greasable bolts, and maybe zero rates in the rear.

Looks like it's going to be a street queen for now

Any ideas with that setup?

Byron

5. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I was running stock, it sagged pretty bad and balancing the load stopped the sag, but the ride was still pretty bad. I added some Hellwig helper springs and couldn't be more impressed with the results. Well I am sure I could, but for the money the helpers are all I could afford at the time and I feel they were money well spent.

-Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you install the Hellwigs on the rear only?

Did they level the truck to your satisfaction?

Is the ride/handling better towing/not towing?

Byron

6. midnight473

midnight473 Registered Member

Yes I installed them on the rear only.

I don't notice a change unloaded, but I notice a very significant change with a trailer attached.

I couldn't be happier with the setup.